The University of Idaho and Washington State University have a cooperative program in food science that allows graduate students from both universities to participate in a joint curriculum. Our students interact with faculty at both universities allowing for a more diverse education and access to research facilities at both institutions.
Demand for food scientists with graduate degrees is high. Graduates are employed in the food industry in research and development, food process development, food safety, quality assurance, analytical sciences and managerial positions. Recent graduates have found employment with major food companies like H.J. Heinz Co., J.R. Simplot Co., Lamb Weston, Kraft Foods, and Litehouse Foods. Many M.S. graduates continue on for a Ph.D. in preparation for a career in academia. Students also find employment with the federal agencies, such as the Food and Drug Administration and the United States Department of Agriculture.
WSU and UI each offer Masters and Doctoral degrees in Food Science.
Click the respective button to find out more about that university’s graduate program.
NEW for Fall 2013 Students
Departmental research programs include:
Master’s in Food Science and Management – Online
A Master of Science in Agriculture program offers a new specialization that combines food science expertise with management education. This master’s program is completely online and is offered jointly by Washington State University and the University of Idaho. Read more here.
Student Learning Outcomes – MS and PhD Food Science
- Graduate students will be able to conduct innovative and high quality research to solve emerging problems in food science by:
- Demonstrating a fundamental understanding of food science knowledge and principles
- Applying scientific knowledge to assess and solve food science problems
- Exhibiting communication skills to convey technical information and defending scientific findings.
- Designing and conducting scientific experiments and analyzing research findings
- Graduates will have the professional and leadership skills for entry-level positions in food and allied industries, government or academia.