Interim Director, Associate Professor & Extension Food Processing Specialist
Phone: (509) 335-5613
Office: FSHN 108; Lab: FSHN 212 & 283
Research and Professional Experience
- Interim Director, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, Jan 2020 to date
- Associate Professor, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, July 2018 to date
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, UNL, May 2004 to date
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Grain Science and Industry, KSU, Nov 2008 to date
- Assistant Professor, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, Feb 2013 to July 2018
- Principal Engineer, PepsiCo Advanced Research, PepsiCo, Plano, TX, August 2009 to Feb 2013
- Principal Scientist, MGP Ingredients Inc., Atchison, KS, February 2004 to July 2009
Honors and Awards
- Cereals and Grains Association International, Stanley Watson Award, Nov. 2021. In recognition of the significant contributions to the field of processing of cereal grains.
- Faculty Excellence in Extension Award. CAHNRS, WSU. 2017. In recognition of innovation, scope, impact of extension programs, and leadership.
- Provost Featured Faculty. 2016. In recognition of excellent services to WSU.
- Team Interdisciplinary Award. CAHNRS, WSU. 2015. In recognition of teamwork on quinoa projects.
- AACC International Young Scientist Research Award. 2012. For the meritorious recognition of young scientists in evidence of strong contribution of cereal science and processing.
- Chairman’s Recognition. PepsiCo. For significant contributions of extrusion processing and frying process.
- Pursue Great Science. 2011 & 2010. PepsiCo Advanced Research. For uncovering major technical challenges through great science.
- Scientist of the Year. MGP Ingredients, Inc. For significant contributions in the areas of Wheatex, Convergent Proteins and Hydrolyzed Wheat Proteins.
- Graduate Student of the Year. 2004. ASAE Mid-Central Conference.
Extrusion Cooking: Cereal Grains Processing
Elsevier and AACC International Publication
Editor: Girish M. Ganjyal
Published Date: August 2020
Refereed Journal Articles
* Corresponding author and/or major author
† Dr. Ganjyal’s graduate student or post-doc
Research (of a total of 70 published):
- Ek P†, Gu BJ†, Saunders SR, Huber K, and Ganjyal GM*. 2021. Exploration of physicochemical properties and molecular interactions between cellulose and high-amylose cornstarch during extrusion processing. Current Research in Food Science. 4: 588-597. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crfs.2021.07.001
- Kowalski RJ†, Dangi A†, Gu BJ†, Pietrysiak E†, Dhumal G†, Hause JP†, Kerr C†, Campbell H†, Ganjyal GM*. 2021. Direct Expansion Characterization of Two Varieties of Soft White Waxy Wheat Flours using a Twin-Screw Extruder. Journal of Agriculture and Food Research. 5: 100178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jafr.2021.100178
- Xie F†, Gu BJ†, Saunders SR, and Ganjyal GM*. 2021. High methoxyl pectin enhances the expansion characteristics of the cornstarch relative to the low methoxyl pectin. Food Hydrocolloids. 110(2021): 106131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2020.106131
- Dey D†, Ritcher JK†, Ek P†, Gu BJ†, and Ganjyal GM*. 2020. A review of food processing by-products utilization in extrusion processing. Frontiers (Sustainable Food Systems). Vol. 4. Article: 603751. doi: 10.3389/fsufs.2020.603751
- Kowalski RJ†, Gu BJ†, Hause JP†, Pietrysiak E†, Dhumal G†, Campbell H†, Ganjyal GM*. 2020. Waxy Wheat Extrusion:Impacts of Twin-Screw Extrusion on Hard Red Waxy Wheat Flour. Cereal Chemistry. https://doi.org/10.1002/cche.10333
- Pietrysiak E†, Smith S, Ganjyal GM*. Food Safety Interventions to Control Listeria monocytogenes in the Fresh Apple Packing Industry: A Review. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. 18: 1705-1726. https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12496
- Kowalski RJ†, Li C†, Ganjyal GM*. Optimizing twin-screw extrusion processing through regression modeling and genetic algorithms. Journal of Food Engineering. Journal of Food Engineering. 234:50-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2018.04.004
- Kowalski RJ†, Hause JP†, Joyner (Melito) H, Ganjyal GM*. Waxy flour degradation as impacted by screw geometry and specific mechanical energy through a co-rotating twin screw extruder. Food Chemistry. 239 (2018): 688–696. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.06.120
- Medina-Meza IG†, Aluwi N†, Saunders S and Ganjyal GM*. GC−MS Profiling of Triterpenoid Saponins from 28 Quinoa Varieties (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.) Grown in Washington State. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 64: 8583-8591.https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.6b02156
- Millin TM†, Medina-Meza IG†, Walters B, Huber KC, Rasco BA, and Ganjyal GM*. 2016. Changes in the physical and structural properties of French fries during the par and finish frying processes resulting from frying oil temperatures. Food and Bioprocess Technology. 9: 2080 – 2091. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-016-1790-2
- Kowalski RJ†, Morrow C, McDonald A, and Ganjyal, GM*. 2016. X-ray density profiler as a new tool to gain better understanding of the extruded products by measuring the cross-sectional density profiles. Food Structure. Vol 8(2016): 1-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foostr.2016.03.001
List of Peer REVIEWED EXTENSION PUBLICATIONS
* Dr. Ganjyal as the corresponding author and major author
† Dr. Ganjyal’s graduate student or Post-Doc
Extension (of a total of 11 published):
- Pietrysiak E† and Ganjyal GM*. 2020. Foreign Supplier Verification Programs (FSVP): An Overview. WSU Extension. WSU Extension Publication. FS341E. https://pubs.extension.wsu.edu/foreign-supplier-verification-programs-fsvp-an-overview
- Ganjyal GM* and Coles CG. 2017. Preventive Controls for Human Food: An overview. WSU Extension Publication. FS282E: 1-6. http://pubs.cahnrs.wsu.edu/publications/pubs/fs282e/
- Gu B†, Kowalski RJ†, Ganjyal GM. Food Extrusion Processing: An Overview. WSU Extension Publication. FS264E: 1-5. http://pubs.cahnrs.wsu.edu/publications/pubs/fs264e/
- Kalambur S, Ganjyal GM*. 2015. Raising the profile of food processing. Cereal Foods World. Vol. 60(1): 18-26. https://www.cerealsgrains.org/publications/plexus/cfw/pastissues/2015/documents/CFW-60-1-0018.pdf
Ph.D., 2004, Food and Bioprocess Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE
MBA., 2006, Benedictine College, Atchison, KS
M. Eng., 2000, Post-harvest and Food Process Engineering, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand
B. Tech., 1998, Agricultural Engineering, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, India
School of Food Science
Washington State University
PO Box 646376
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164