Professor, Food Processing Specialist
- Ph.D., 2004, Food and Bioprocess Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE
- MBA., 2006, Benedictine College, Atchison, KS
- M. Eng., 2000, Post-harvest and Food Process Engineering, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand
- B. Tech., 1998, Agricultural Engineering, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, India
Research and Professional Experience
- Interim Director, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, Jan 2020 to Jan 2023
- Associate Professor, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, July 2018 to date
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, UNL, May 2004 to date
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Grain Science and Industry, KSU, Nov 2008 to date
- Assistant Professor, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, Feb 2013 to July 2018
- Principal Engineer, PepsiCo Advanced Research, PepsiCo, Plano, TX, August 2009 to Feb 2013
- Principal Scientist, MGP Ingredients Inc., Atchison, KS, February 2004 to July 2009
Honors and Awards
- Martin Luther King Jr. Distinguished Service Award (DSA). 2022. In recognition of significant contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion in Education.
- Stanley Watson Award. Cereals and Grains Association International. 2021. In recognition of the significant contributions to the field of processing of cereal grains, specifically in extrusion processing.
- Faculty Excellence in Extension Award. WSU. 2017. In recognition of innovation, scope, the impact of extension programs, and leadership.
- Provost Featured Faculty. 2016. In recognition of excellent services to the University.
- Team Interdisciplinary Award. WSU. 2015. In recognition of teamwork on quinoa projects.
- Young Scientist Research Award. AACC International. For the meritorious recognition of young scientists in evidence of the strong contribution of cereal science and processing.
- Chairman’s Recognition. 2012. For significant contributions to extrusion and frying processes.
- Pursue Great Science. PepsiCo Advanced Research. 2010 & 2011. For uncovering major technical challenges through great science.
- Scientist of the Year. MGP Ingredients, Inc. 2006. In recognition of significant contributions in the areas of Wheatex (Texturized Vegetable Proteins), Convergent Proteins (Hybridized Proteins), and Hydrolyzed Wheat Proteins
Extrusion Cooking: Cereal Grains Processing Elsevier and AACC International Publication Editor: Girish M. Ganjyal ISBN-13: 978-0128153604 ISBN-10: 0128153601 Published Date: August 2020 elsevier.com/books/extrusion-cooking/ganjyal/978-0-12-815360-4
Refereed Journal Articles
For the most updated list of publications, please visit the Google Scholar profile. * Corresponding author and/or major author † Dr. Ganjyal’s graduate student or post-doc Research (of a total of 76 published):
- Nalbandian E†, Pietrysiak E†, Murphy KM, and Ganjyal GM*. 2022. Different breeding lines of quinoa significantly influence the quality of the baked cookies and cooked grains. Journal of Food Science. https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.16354.
- Richter JK†, Gu BJ†, Ek P†, Dey D†, Saunders SR, and Ganjyal GM*. 2022. Potential interactions between starch and fruit pomace may impact the expansion ratio of direct expanded products. Journal of Food Science. 2222: 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.16240.
- Ek P†, Gu BJ†, Saunders SR, Huber K, and Ganjyal GM*. 2021. Exploration of physicochemical properties and molecular interactions between cellulose and high-amylose cornstarch during extrusion processing. Current Research in Food Science. 4: 588-597. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crfs.2021.07.001.
- Kowalski RJ†, Dangi A†, Gu BJ†, Pietrysiak E†, Dhumal G†, Hause JP†, Kerr C†, Campbell H†, Ganjyal GM*. 2021. Direct Expansion Characterization of Two Varieties of Soft White Waxy Wheat Flours using a Twin-Screw Extruder. Journal of Agriculture and Food Research. 5: 100178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jafr.2021.100178.
- Xie F†, Gu BJ†, Saunders SR, and Ganjyal GM*. 2021. High methoxyl pectin enhances the expansion characteristics of the cornstarch relative to the low methoxyl pectin. Food Hydrocolloids. 110(2021): 106131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2020.106131.
List of Peer REVIEWED EXTENSION PUBLICATIONS * Dr. Ganjyal as the corresponding author and major author † Dr. Ganjyal’s graduate student or Post-Doc Extension (of a total of 11 published):
- Pietrysiak E† and Ganjyal GM*. 2022. Developing a Food Safety Plan: An Overview. FS363E. https://pubs.extension.wsu.edu/developing-a-food-safety-plan-an-overview.
- Pietrysiak E† and Ganjyal GM*. 2020. Foreign Supplier Verification Programs (FSVP): An Overview. WSU Extension. WSU Extension Publication. FS341E. https://pubs.extension.wsu.edu/foreign-supplier-verification-programs-fsvp-an-overview
- Ganjyal GM* and Coles CG. 2017. Preventive Controls for Human Food: An overview. WSU Extension Publication. FS282E: 1-6. http://pubs.cahnrs.wsu.edu/publications/pubs/fs282e/
- Gu B†, Kowalski RJ†, Ganjyal GM. Food Extrusion Processing: An Overview. WSU Extension Publication. FS264E: 1-5. http://pubs.cahnrs.wsu.edu/publications/pubs/fs264e/
- Kalambur S, Ganjyal GM*. 2015. Raising the profile of food processing. Cereal Foods World. Vol. 60(1): 18-26. https://www.cerealsgrains.org/publications/plexus/cfw/pastissues/2015/documents/CFW-60-1-0018.pdf