Professor and Director of the WSU Sensory Science Center
- 2003 Certificate in University Teaching , Department of Teaching Resources and Continuing Education, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON.
- 1998-2001 Doctorate of Philosophy in Food Science/Environmental Toxicology, Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Michigan State University , East Lansing , MI .
- 1995-1997 Master of Science in Food Science, Department of Food Science, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON.
- 1991-1995 Bachelor of Human Ecology in Foods and Nutrition, Department of Human Ecology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB.
- 2021 – now Member, Down syndrome Medical Interest Group.
- 2018-now Affiliate Professor, Washington State University, Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine, Spokane, WA.
- 2016- now Professor, Washington State University, School of Food Science, Pullman, WA.
- 2017 Visiting Researcher. University of Nottingham, School of Biosciences, International Centre for Brewing, United Kingdom.
- 2010 – 2016 Associate Professor, Washington State University, School of Food Science, Pullman, WA.
- 2011 Visiting Researcher, Lincoln University, Department of Wine, Food and Molecular Biosciences, New Zealand
- 2004-2010 Assistant Professor, Washington State University , Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Pullman , WA .
- 2004 Post-Doctoral Fellow, Cool Climate Oenology and Viticulture Institute, Brock University , St. Catharines , ON .
- 2003 Director of Research, DeltaNu, Laramie , WY .
- 2003 Post-Doctoral Fellow and Laboratory Manager of InFARel (Industrially Focused Analytical Research Laboratory), Department of Chemistry, University of Waterloo , Waterloo , ON .
- 2002-2003 Post-Doctoral Fellow, Georgia Institute of Technology Research Institute, Food Processing Technology Division, Atlanta, GA.
The overall objective of my research and graduate education program is to understand the theoretical basis underpinning the sensory perception (aural, oral, and tactile) of foods and wines and correlate these psychophysical attributes with quantifiable characteristics.
My scientific contributions have been in five major areas: 1) Understanding food texture sensitivity in children, 2) Exploring the intersection between health and food, including older adults; 3) Enhancement of food quality through studies of consumer perception; 4) Application of innovative analytical and sensory techniques to increase understanding of fundamental physical and chemical properties of food and wine quality; and 5) Influence of agronomic and environmental conditions on the chemical and sensory profiles of foods and wines.
This work has resulted in >135 articles in peer-reviewed journals, >130 conference presentations, and my serving as a major advisor to 35 graduate students.
Honors and Awards
- 2022-23 Fulbright US Senior Scholar Award. Australian-American Fulbright Commission. Research at Deakin University, Melbourne, AU.
- 2022 Tanner Award for most highly-cited paper (published in 2019). Institute of Food Technologists. Journal of Food Science: Sensory and Food Quality section.
- 2021 Sahlin Faculty Excellence Award for Instruction. Washington State University.
- 2020 Tanner Award for most highly-cited paper (published in 2017). Institute of Food Technologists. Journal of Food Science: Sensory and Food Quality section.
- 2019 Tanner Award for most highly-cited paper (published in 2016). Institute of Food Technologists. Journal of Food Science: Sensory and Food Quality section.
- 2016 Institute of Food Technologists, Sensory and Consumer Sciences Division, Outstanding Service Award.
- 2015 Institute of Food Technologists Division Leader Travel Award
- 2015 Interdisciplinary Team Award, Quinoa Research and Extension team, College of Agriculture, Human and Natural Resource Science, Washington State University.
- 2014 Early Career Excellence Award, College of Agriculture, Human and Natural Resource Science, Washington State University.
- 2007 Certificate of Honor, Outstanding Mentor, Women & Leadership Alliance Forum, Washington State University.
- 2006 Certificate of Honor, Outstanding Mentor, Women & Leadership Alliance Forum, Washington State University.
For the most updated list of publications, please visit https://sfs.wsu.edu/ross/publications/
Refereed Journal Articles (since 2020)
Shen, Xi., Su, Y., Hua, Z., Zhu, H., Unlu, G., Ross, C.F., Mendoza, M., Hanrahan, I., Tang, J. and Zhu, M. 2023. Listeria monocytogenes cross-contamination during apple waxing and subsequent survival under different storage conditions. Food Microbiology. 110: 104166.
Paup, V.D., Barton, T.L., Edwards, C.G., Lange, I., Lange, B.M., Lee, J. and Ross, C.F. 2022. Improving the chemical and sensory characteristics of red and white wines with pectinase producing non-Saccharomyces yeasts. Journal of Food Science. https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.16371
Ross, C. F., Bernhard, C.B., Surette, V., Hasted, A., Wakeling, I and Smith-Simpson, S. 2022. Eating behaviours in children with Down syndrome: Results of a home-use test Journal of Texture Studies. https://doi.org/10.1111/jtxs.12703
Chaffee, O., McGillivray, A., Duizer, L. and Ross, C.F. 2022. Identifying Elements of a Ready-To-Eat Meal Desired by Older Adults. Food Research Internationl. 111353. doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2022.111353
Romaniw, O., Montero, M., Sharma, M., Ross, C.F. and Duizer, L.M. 2022. Creating foods for older adults: Emotional responses and liking of microwave-assisted thermal sterilization processed meals. Journal of Food Science. doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.16200
Craine, E.B., Bramwell, S., Ross, C.F. and Murphy, K. 2022. From ground to glass: Evaluation of unique barley varieties for craft malting, craft brewing, and consumer sensory. Beverages. 8 (2): 30. https://doi.org/10.3390/beverages8020030
Montero, M.L and Ross, C. F. 2022. Saltiness perception in white sauce formulations as tested in older adults. Food Quality and Preference. 98: 104529. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2022.104529
Surette, V.M., Smith-Simpson, S., Fries, L. R. and Ross, C.F. 2022. Food texture experiences across age groups in young children. Journal of Texture Studies. 53(1): 18-30. https://doi.org/10.1111/jtxs.12649
Castura, J., Rutledge, D., Ross, C.F and Næs, T. 2022. Discriminability and uncertainty in principal component analysis (PCA) of temporal check-all-that-apply (TCATA) data. Food Quality and Preference. 96: 104370. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2021.104370
Ross, C.F., Surette, V., Bernhard, C.B., Smith-Simpson, S., Lee, J., Russell, C.G. and Keast. R.S. 2021. Development and application of specific questions to classify a child as food texture sensitive. Journal of Texture Studies, 53 (1): 3-17. http://doi.org/10.1111/jtxs.12627
Paup, V. D., Cook-Barton, T., Diako, C., Edwards, C. G., & Ross, C. F. 2021. Detection of red wine faults over time with flash profiling and the electronic tongue. Beverages, 7(3): 52-60. https://doi.org/10.3390/beverages7030052
Aplin, J. J., Paup, V. D., Ross, C. F., & Edwards, C. G. 2021. Chemical and sensory profiles of Merlot wines produced by sequential inoculation of Metschnikowia pulcherrima or Meyerzyma guilliermondii. Fermentation, 7(3): 126-132. https://doi.org/10.3390/fermentation7030126
Montero, M. L., Garrido, D., Gallardo, R. K., Tang, J., & Ross, C. F. 2021. Consumer acceptance of a ready-to-eat meal during storage as evaluated with a home-use test. Foods, 10(7): 1623-1633. https://doi.org/10.3390/foods10071623
Garrido, D., Gallardo, K., Ross, C.F. Montero, M. and Tang, J. 2021. Does the order of presentation of extrinsic and intrinsic quality attributes matter when eliciting willingness to pay? Journal of Food Science. 86 (8): 3658-3671. http://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.15825
Qu, Z., Tang, J., Sablani, S., Ross, C. F., Sankaran, S., and Shah, D. 2021. Quality changes in chicken livers during cooking. Poultry Science. 100)9): 101316. 101316. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psj.2021.101316
Garrido, D., Gallardo, K., Montero, M. and Ross, C.F. 2021. The effect of intrinsic and extrinsic quality on the willingness to pay for a convenient meal: A combination of home-use test with online auctions. Journal of Sensory Studies. http://doi.org/10.1111/joss.12682
Surette, V.A., Bernhard, C.B., Smith-Simpson, S. and Ross, C.F. 2021. Development of a home-use method for the evaluation of food products by children with and without Down syndrome. Journal of Texture Studies. https://doi.org/10.1111/jtxs.12601
Craine, E., Bramwell, S., Ross, C.F., Fisk, S. and Murphy, K. 2021. Strategic malting barley improvement for craft brewers through consumer sensory evaluation of malt and beer. Journal of Food Science. https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.15786
Qu, Z., Tang, J. Liu, F., Sablani, S., Ross, C. F., Sankaran, S. and Tang, J. 2021. Quality of green beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) influenced by microwave and hot water pasteurization. Food Control. 124: 107936. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2021.107936
Ross, C.F. 2021. Considerations of the use of the electronic tongue in sensory science. (Invited submission). Current Opinion in Food Science. 40: 87-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cofs.2021.01.011
Montero, M., Sablani, S., Tang, J, and Ross, C.F. 2020. Characterization of the sensory, chemical and microbial quality of microwave-assisted, thermally pasteurized fried rice during storage. Journal of Food Science. 85(9): 2711-2719. https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.15384
Zad Bagher Seighalani, F., Ross, C.F., Joyner, H. 2020. Relationships Among Rheological, Sensory, and Wear Behaviors of Cheeses. Journal of Texture Studies. 51 (5): 702-721. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jtxs.12547
Barnett, S.M., Tang, J., Sablani, S. and Ross, C.F. 2020. The potential for microwave processing technology and the ideal profile method to aid in salt reduction. Journal of Food Science. 85(3): 600-610. doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.15034
Schlossareck, S. and Ross, C.F. 2020. Consumer sensory evaluation of aftertaste intensity and liking of spicy paneer cheese. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. 55(7): 2710-2718. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.14524
Walsh, E., Diako, C., Smith, D.M. and Ross, C.F. 2020. Influence of storage time and elevated ripening temperature on the chemical and sensory properties of white Cheddar cheese. Journal of Food Science. 85(2): 268-278. doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.14998
Griffiths, L.E., Diako, C., Miller, L.E., Neilson, A.P., Ross, C.F., and Stewart, A.C. 2020. Preference for and sensitivity to flavanol mean degree of polymerization in model wines is correlated with body composition. Appetite. 144(1): 104442. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2019.104442
Montero, M. and Ross, C.F. 2023. Physiology of Sensory Perception. In The Sensory Evaluation of Dairy Products, Third Edition. Clark, S., Drake, and Bodyfelt, C., Eds. New York, NY, Springer.
Castura, J. C., McMahon, K. M., and Ross, C. F. 2018. Effect of carbonation level on the perception of sourness in sparkling wine. In B. Siegmund & E. Leitner (eds.): 15th Weurman Flavour Research Symposium (pp. 217-220). 18-22 September 2017. Graz, Austria: Verlag der Technischen Universität Graz.
Ross, C.F. Headspace Analysis. 2011. In: Sampling and Sample Preparation. Lord, H. and Pawliszyn, J., Eds. Elsevier.
Ross, C.F and Hoye, C.J. Breakage and Mastication of Solid Foods. 2011. In Food Oral Processing. Chen, J. and Engeln, L., Eds. London, Blackwell.
Ross, C.F. Physiology of Sensory Perception. 2008. In The Sensory Evaluation of Dairy Products, Second Edition. Clark, S., Drake, Costello, M. and Bodyfelt, C., Eds. New York, NY, Springer.
Ross, C.F. and Pawliszyn, J. 2005. Solid-phase microextraction. In Encyclopedia of Analytical Science, Second Edition. Worsfold, P., Townshend, A. and Poole, C., Eds. Oxford, United Kingdom, Elsevier, Vol. 2, p. 608- 616.
Ross, C.F. and Carron, K.T. 2005. Raman spectroscopy: Near-infrared. In Encyclopedia of Analytical Science, Second Edition. Worsfold, P., Townshend, A. and Poole, C., Eds. Oxford, United Kingdom, Elsevier, Vol. 8, p. 105-110.