Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Bachelor of Science at WSU

General Requirements

The Bachelor of Science degree requires a total of 120 semester credits with at least 40 of the total hours required for the degree in upper-division courses (300-400 level). The university has also set minimum requirements called General Education Requirements (GER’s) or beginning Fall 2012, University Common Requirements (UCORE). Students should consult their advisor for the appropriate GER/UCORE requirements, sequencing of courses, and selection of electives that best suit their needs and interests.
Helpful forms for planning your course load:
4 Year Schedule of Studies

View the 4 year schedule of studies for a B.S. in Food Science: Fermentation option

To join the program
In the first two years, students will complete most of the University Common Requirements (UCOREs) and initiate studies of the sciences basic to food science. Those who have taken 24 credit hours and earned at least a 2.0 GPA can certify into the food science major.  Students should be certified into a major by 60 credits.  Contact the Academic Coordinator to initiate this process – Junior and senior years will emphasize food processing, food microbiology, and food chemistry–all related to cereal, dairy, fruit, vegetable, meat, poultry, and seafood product development and processing. NOTE: Students should consult the General Catalog for course planning, the Degree Audit Report in myWSU (formerly zzusis) and must meet course requirements as outlined in the General Catalog in order to graduate.

Food Science Undergraduate Course List (with links to instructors) 

Complete Food Science Course List from the WSU catalog

Schedule of Classes – information about all WSU classes at all campuses and other locations. Select the semester you’re interested in and then select FS >> more here.

Academic Advising – This is one of your most important relationships while you’re a student here at WSU. For information regarding Advising in the College of Agriculture, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences (CAHNRS) >> more here.

Transfer Students
Students planning to transfer to Washington State University should take courses that will meet the 100 and 200 level GER/UCORE course requirements. Refer to the Community College Transfer Guide for information about transfer credit either by contacting the Admissions Office at (509) 335-5586 for a copy or by visiting the Transfer Credit Equivalencies website.

Financial Aid / Scholarships – If you have any questions about any of these scholarships or application procedures, please contact the School of Food Science WSU office at 509.335.3843 or

Need more information?

Contact: Jodi Anderson, Academic Coordinator at 509.335.4763, or email