Andrzej J. Paszczynski
Professor Emeritus, UI
Phone: (208) 885-4135
Dr. Paszczynski use an emerging proteomic approaches to discern and verify the unique proteins (biomarkers) that infer directly or indirectly the functional aspects of microbial tolerance of the extreme environmental conditions. The focus of his research is to identify unique factors – biomarkers present in different classes of extremophiles including species with following phenotypes: thermophiles, psychrophiles, desiccation tolerant, microorganisms that can survive exposure to ionizing radiation and near vacuum conditions encountered during food processing, storage and transport. Identified biomarkers can be used for rapid and sensitive detection of food contaminating microbes and will give food industry new tool to access risk of food contamination in early stages of production and storage thus preventing contaminated food from reaching consumers.
Teaching, Research and Extension Appointments
|2011-||Professor, University of Idaho and Washington State University|
|2011-||Adjunct Professor, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, and Biochemistry Program|
|2004 –||Adjunct Professor, Environmental Science Program, University of Idaho|
|2000-2011||Associate Professor of Biochemistry, Department of Microbiology, Molecular Biology, and Biochemistry/Environmental Biotechnology Institute (EBI) and Associate Director of Environmental Biotechnology Institute, University of Idaho.|
|1991-2000||Research and Teaching Associate, Institute for Molecular and Agricultural Genetic Engineering, University of Idaho, Moscow.|
|1987-1991||Visiting Assistant Professor; on leave from University of Marie Curie-Sk?odowska, Lublin, Poland; Department of Bacteriology and Biochemistry, University of Idaho, Moscow|
|1984-1986||Research Scientist, College of Biological Sciences, University of Minnesota, Navarre, MN.|
|1980-1984||Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Department of Applied Microbiology, University of Marie Curie-Sklodowska, Lublin, Poland|
Academic Administrative Appointments
|2000-||Associate Director, Environmental Biotechnology Institute, University of Idaho, Moscow|
|1992-||Co-founder, Innovative Biosystems, Inc., Moscow, Idaho. IBS is a small business specializing in design of novel bioreactors and production of biological agents (bio-herbicides) for control of plant disease.|
|1984-1986||Research Scientist, ChemGen Corporation, Boston, MA|
|2011-||Consultant, Schweitzer Engineering Laboratory, Pullman WA. Electronic equipment corrosion study.|
|2008-2009||Consulting, Western Polymer Corporation. Help to eliminate bacterial contamination in chemically modified starches tat Western Polymer Corporation produces.|
|1997-1998||Consultant, J.R. Simplot. Worked with the Simplot Company to solve technological problems in phosphate fertilizer-producing plants.|
- Smith, S.A, David Anderl, Michael Schrader, Emmaleen Wear, James N. Benardini III, Wayne Schubert, Susan E. Childers, Paszczynski A.J. 2017. Identification, Characterization and Survival of Isolates Collected from a Mars-bound Spacecraft. Astrobiology. DOI: 10.1089/ast.2015.1417
- Hanson, A.J., Paszczynski, A.J. and Coats, E.R. 2016. Proteomic profiling of an undefined microbial consortium cultured in fermented dairy manure: methods development. Electrophoresis. 37: 790–794
- Hanson, A.J., Guho, N.M., Paszczynski, A.J. and Coats, E.R. 2016. Community proteomics provides functional insight into polyhydroxyalkanoate production by a mixed microbial culture cultivated on fermented dairy manure. Applied Microbiol. Biotechnol. 100(18): 7957–7976
- Checinska, A, Paszczynski, A., and Burbank M. 2015. Bacillus and other spore-forming genera: variations in responses and mechanisms for survival. Annu. Rev. Food Sci. Technol. 2015. 6:351–69.
- Smith, G., Schubert, W., Smith, S., Paszczynski, A., Benardini J. 2014. A Glimpse into NASA Planetary Protection: bacterial communities residing on Mars-bound spacecraft. http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1078&context=undergradresearch_symposium
- Janusz, G., Kucharzyk, K.H., Pawlik, A., Staszczak, M., Paszczynski, A. 2013. Fungal laccase, manganese peroxidase and lignin peroxidase: gene expression and regulation. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 52: 1– 12
- Kolodziejek, A., Caplan, A., Bohach, G., Paszczynski, A., Minnich, S., and Hovde, C. 2013. Physiological levels of glucose induce membrane vesicle secretion and affect the lipid and protein composition of the Yersinia pestis Applied Environ Microbiol. 79(14): 4509–4514.
- Kaur, M., Johnson, A., Tianc, G., Jiangd, W., Rao, L., Paszczynski, A., Qiang, T. 2013. Separation nanotechnology of diethylenetriaminepentaacetic acid bonded magnetic nanoparticles for spent nuclear fuel. Nano Energy. 2:124-132.
- Checinska, A., Burbank, M. and Paszczynski, A.J. 2012. Protection of Bacillus pumilus spores by catalases. Applied Environ. Microbiol. 78:6413-6422.
- Kucharzyk, K.H., Crawford, R.L., Paszczynski A.J., Soule, T., Hess T.F. 2012. Maximizing microbial degradation of perchlorate using a genetic algorithm: media optimization. J. Biotechnol. 157:189-197.
- Checinska, A., Fruth, I.A., Green, T.L., Crawford, R.L., Paszczynski, A.J. 2011. Sterilization of biological pathogens using supercritical fluid carbon dioxide containing water and hydrogen peroxide. J. Microbiol. Methods. 87: 70-75.
- Johnson, A., Kaczor, J., Qiang, Y., Han, H., Kaur, M., Tian, G., Rao, L. and Paszczynski, A. 2011. Synthesis of a magnetic hydrogel for use as high capacity carrier of organic and biological molecules. J. Nanopart. Res. 13: 4881-4895
- Østergaard, M.E., Kumar, P., Baral1, B., Guenther, D.C., Anderson, B.A., Ytreberg, M., Deobald, L., Paszczynski, A.J., Sharma, P.K., Hrdlicka, P.J. 2011. C5-Functionalized DNA, LNA, and -L-LNA: positional control of polarity-sensitive fluorophores leads to improved SNP-typing. Chem. European J. 17: 3157-3165.
- Bansal, R., Crawford, L.R. and Paszczynski, A.J. 2011. Peptide biomarkers as evidence of perchlorate biodegradation. Applied Environ. Microbiol. 77: 810-820.
- Paszczynski, A.J., Paidisetti, Johnson, A.K., Crawford, R.L., Colwell, F.S., Green, T., Delwiche, M., Lee, H., Newby, D., Brodie, E.L. and Conrad, M. 2011. Proteomic and targeted qPCR analyses of subsurface Microbial communities for presence of methane monooxygenase. Biodegradation. 22: 1045-1059.
- Østergaard, M.E., Guenther, D.C, Kumar, P., Baral, B., Deobald, L., Paszczynski, A.J., Sharma P.K, and Hrdlicka. P.J. 2010. Pyrene-functionalized triazole-linked 2’-deoxyuridines – probes for discrimination of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs). Chem. Comm. 210: 4929-4931.
- Magnuson, T.S., Swenson, M.W., Paszczynski, A.J., Deobald, L.A., Kerk, D. and Cummings, D.A. 2010. Proteogenomic and functional analysis of chromate reduction in Acidiphilium cryptum JF-5, an Fe(III)-respiring acidophile. Biometals. 23: 1129-1138.
- Han, H., Kaczor, J., Kaur, M., Johnson, A., Paszczynski, A.J. and Qiang, Y. 2010. Silica coated magnetic nanoparticles for separation of nuclear acidic waste”, J. Appl. Phys. 107: 09B520.
- Kucharzyk, K.H., Crawford, R.L, Paszczynski, A.J., Hess T.F. 2010. A method for assaying perchlorate concentration in microbial cultures using the fluorescent dye resazurin. J. Microbiol. Methods. 81: 26-32.
- Sau, P.S., Kumar, P., Anderson, B.A., Østergaard, M.E., Deobald, L., Paszczynski, A.J., Sharma, P.K and Hrdlicka, P.J. 2009. Optimized DNA-targeting using triplex forming C5-alkynyl functionalized LNA. Chem. Comm. 44: 6756-6758.
- Østergaard, M.E., Kumar, P., Baral, B., Raible, D.J., Kumar, T.S., Anderson, B.A., Guenther, D.C., Deobald, L., Paszczynski, A.J., Sharma P.K. and Hrdlicka P.J. 2009. C5-Functionalized LNA: unparalleled hybridization properties and enzymatic stability. ChemBioChem. 10: 2740-2743
Ph.D., Biochemistry, University of Marie Curie-Sklodowska, Lublin, Poland, 1980
M.S., Biochemistry, University of Marie Curie-Sklodowska, Lublin, Poland, 1973