Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Graduate Programs

Graduate Degree Options

Demand for food scientists with graduate degrees is high. Graduates are employed in the food industry in research and development, food process development, food safety, quality assurance, analytical sciences and managerial positions. Recent graduates have found employment with major food companies like H.J. Heinz Co., J.R. Simplot Co., Lamb Weston, Kraft Foods, and Litehouse Foods. Many M.S. graduates continue on for a Ph.D. in preparation for a career in academia. Students also find employment with the federal agencies, such as the Food and Drug Administration and the United States Department of Agriculture.

Program Requirements for Degrees:


Application Deadlines

Fall semester: January 10
Spring semester: July 1

  • Materials must be complete by these dates for admission and/or assistantship considerations.
  • Graduate applications are very competitive. It is beneficial to submit all materials before the deadlines.

Johnson Hall Graduate Center

Food Science Graduate Inquiries

Jill Staab

Johnson Hall Rm 131
PO Box 646420
Pullman, WA 99164-6420 USA
Questions, please email:

Apply Visit

Graduate Student Financial Information

  • Departmental State Assistantship – A research or teaching assistantship (RA/TA) is a 9-month assignment in a class or on a specific research project, requires 10-20 hours of work per week, includes a tuition waiver, monthly stipend, ­and a health benefit.  When applying for a RA/TA, we must receive your graduate school application and all required materials by January 10 for Fall semester and July 1 for Spring semester.  If applying for an assistantship, mark the appropriate box on the Graduate School on-line application and indicate your area of interest and/or faculty member you are interested in working with. The RA/TA’s are usually only offered for the academic year beginning with fall semester, however, we occasionally offer awards for spring semester.  International studentsAs a policy, we usually do not award these assistantships to students for whom English is a second language during their first year of study in the United States.  
  • Departmental Grant Assistantship – The same deadlines apply as listed above.  Grant assistantships, if available, are under the discretion of each faculty member and you work 10-20 hours a week on research with your faculty advisor.  The assistantship is for 9 months and includes a tuition waiver, a monthly stipend, and a health benefit.  To apply, mark the appropriate box on the Graduate School on-line application.  Once you receive notification that your file has met the admission criteria, you can contact appropriate faculty to inquire about open grant positions they might be offering.  Review the faculty research interests and get their contact information.
  • WRGP/WICHE Program – If you are a resident of any of the following states: AK, AZ, CA, CO, CNMI*, Guam, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, ND, OR, SD, UT, WA, and WY, and you are applying for a MS or PhD in Food Science, then you are eligible for a reduced rate of tuition.  There is no application for this program; you only have to be a resident of one of the states above, and notify the Johnson Hall Graduate Center Coordinators with your state of residency.  Once you accept our offer, notification will be made to the WSU Graduate School that you are part of the WICHE program, and a WICHE tuition waiver can be posted onto your account sometime in early in the semester.  (*Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands)

Graduate Student Resource Links

*Under revision