*The SFS Announcements will be sent out bi-weekly for Summer*
Upcoming Events and Deadlines
UI: Asset Accounting is doing an inventory audit this year, and has advised that auditors will be focusing on our grant funded equipment inventory. I have a list I will be sending out to individual PIs, and the request is that photographs of the items with their corresponding tag numbers be sent as confirmation of the equipment’s use. Please let Mary Ellen Martin know if you and your lab groups can provide those pictures, or if you need me to go in the labs and take the pictures. This audit will need to be completed by the last week of July.
Changes to the UI Academia Calendar for Fall 2019 – https://www.uidaho.edu/events/academic-calendar
- (UI Faculty voted to change the start/end date for Fall 2019 semester and I expect this will be a permanent change.)
- UI’s 1st day of instruction is August 26th and the end of semester is December 20th.
- UI Fall commencement will be Sat., Dec 14
WSU’s Academia Calendar for Fall 2019 – https://registrar.wsu.edu/academic-calendar/
- 1st day of instruction is Mon. August 19th and the end of semester is December 13th.
- WSU Fall Commencement is Sat., Dec 7th
So, due to this change, UI students will be expected to arrive to campus one week early to attend their WSU COOP classes, and WSU students will be expected to stay for UI finals if they are in a UI COOP class.
The Student Section
ICEF13 has a few awards that are open for nominations. See their awards on their ICEF13 Website.
Registration for Cider & Perry Production – A Foundation is now open. This is a 5 day course and will start on October 21, 2019. Learn the core principles of cider production from WSU fermentation experts and industry practitioners in a five-day professional workshop. In partnership with the Cider Institute of North America, this course is the first in a comprehensive certificate series. Register on Brown Paper Ticket.
The Certificate in Seafood Science program at the Center for Advanced Food Technology in Everett has new dates available. Learn more and register at the SFS CAFT webpage.
Jobs, Internships, and Scholarships
The Ag Sci building elevator will be out of operation this summer and fall semester as they will be replacing the elevator. (Best case scenario: the new one will be up and running by labor day.) We are working with facilities to make any ADA accommodations for our faculty and staff who work on floors 1-3. If you have someone who may need to move to the ground floor due to ADA needs, please send their names to Mary Ellen Martin. Here is an updated schedule for the Ag Science elevator project:
- 6/13: Mangum Construction mobilizes on site, starts some limited demolition activities.
- 7/29: Existing elevator is shut down and removed by Shindler Elevator Co.
- 8/5 – 9/27: Installation of new elevator and upgrades and expansion to equipment room. Mangum’s will require storage space at the loading dock and a shipping container for elevator parts.
- 9/30: Scheduled completion