Research focus listed alphabetically by faculty member’s last name. To find out more, please click on the faculty member.
- Denise Smith, Director: Food chemistry, chemistry and functionality of meat and dairy proteins, meat and poultry quality and safety.
- Carolyn Hovde Bohach: Bacterial pathogenesis, food safety, E. coli O157:H7, cattle vaccine development, Yersinia pestis, enhancing biomedical research competitiveness.
- Boon P. Chew: Food chemistry, functional foods in the enhancement of immune response and prevention of age-related chronic diseases associated with free radical damage.
- Jeff Culbertson: Food science distance education.
- Richard Dougherty: Assistance to food processors of all types and sizes, specializing in food safety, food quality, and development of small to midsized food businesses. Not accepting graduate students.
- Charles G. Edwards: Microbiology and chemistry of wines during vinification including nutrient requirements of wine microorganisms, spoilage yeast and bacteria, and malolactic fermentation.
- Girish Ganjyal: Food processing; extrusion, frying, food ingredient technology, physico-chemical changes in food ingredients during processing, food structures, food product development and value-addition of food processing by-products.
- James Harbertson: Phenolic compounds found in grapes and wines, biochemical and chemical changes during grape ripening, winemaking, and aging.
- Thomas Henick-Kling: Wine research and extension: physiology of lactic acid bacteria, wine yeast ecology, molecular characterization of wine yeast and bacteria, modification of wine flavor by yeast and bacteria, winemaking.
- Kerry Huber: Starch structure, chemistry, structure-function relationships and modification; resistant and slowly digestible starch; cereal science; role of starch in processed foods; potato chemistry and processing.
- Karen Killinger: Food microbiology and food safety education; food thermometer accuracy and education.
- Jeff Kronenberg: Technical assistance to food processors, including regulatory compliance, food safety, health and safety, product development, lean manufacturing and productivity improvement, pest control, HACCP implementation, quality control. Not accepting graduate students.
- Scott Minnich: Bacterial pathogenesis of Yersinia enterocolitica and Y. pestis, etiologic agents of yersiniosis and bubonic plague.
- Greg Möller: Environmental toxicology and chemistry, biogeochemistry of As, Se, and P, water quality, food safety.
- Giuliana Noratto: Bioactive compounds in dairy products/by-products and botanicals with prebiotic effects for prevention of chronic/inflammatory diseases. Emphasis in obesity-related diseases such as cancer and cardiovascular disease and interactions of food bioactive compounds with human microbiota/host immune response.
- Caleb Nindo: Food engineering, novel extraction and dehydration methods; effects on antioxidants in berry juices or dehydrated products; thermal and rheological properties; biopolymer films from food processing co-products.
- Andrzej Paszczynski: Biochemistry of iron transport, reactive oxygen species; new functions of peroxidases and catalases; chromatography and mass spectrometry analysis, proteomics; supercritical fluids applications.
- Joseph R. Powers: Protein and enzyme chemistry, primarily fruits and vegetables.
- Barbara A. Rasco: Food law, food analyses, seafood quality; development of analytical methods to predict the safety and quality of food products.
- Carolyn Ross: Sensory evaluation with analytical chemistry techniques to identify and describe changes in flavor, odor, and texture profiles of food and wine.
- Dojin Ryu: Chemical food safety with emphasis on naturally occurring toxicants including mycotoxins and their chemical/toxicological fate during food processing; integrated approach for food safety.
- Gülhan Ünlü: Food microbiology, biotechnology, microbial food safety/food biopreservation, genomics of food borne bacteria, conversion of food and agricultural waste to value-added products.
- Meijun Zhu: Food microbiology and safety; bioactive food components, gut microbiota and gut epithelial barrier function; obesity, gut epithelial development and gut health.
updated February 2013