Carolyn Hovde Bohach
OFFICE: AgSci 111B, UI
PHONE: (208) 885-0166
FAX: (509) 335-4815
Research interests in my laboratory involve naturally occurring toxicants of microbial or environmental origin and the effect of various food processes on their chemistry and biological effects. An area of emphasis is chemical and toxicological fate of mycotoxins, a diverse group of secondary metabolites produced by certain fungi. As these toxins frequently contaminates agricultural commodities and often survive common food processes, health impact of long-term exposure to these toxins should be carefully considered.
Current projects include the risk assessment of ochratoxin A in the U.S. This possible human carcinogen has been found in many commodities worldwide including cereal grains, nuts, dried fruits, spices, meat, milk, and processed foods made from these commodities including wine, beer, infant formula and baby foods. The goal of this project is to provide comprehensive overview of ochratoxin A in foods consumed in the U.S. and health risk assessment for general public and high-risk population such as infants. It is also our interest to elicit the impact of endocrine disruptors, compounds that may mimic physiological hormones, in environment and foods.
We are also interested in integrating research, education, and/or extension to maximize its impact on food safety. Currently, we are developing integrated strategies to reduce foodborne illness and food allergic reactions associated with small or independently operated restaurants in collaboration with researchers nationwide.
|Ph.D.||1997||Food Science and Technology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln|
|M.S.||1992||Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Missouri-Columbia|
|B.S.||1989||Food Science and Technology, Korea University, Seoul, Korea|
- 1995-1997 Environmental Toxicology & Carcinogenesis Graduate Program
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
- October 10-12, 2000 Applied Extrusion Workshop, Food Processing Center
University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE
- May 8-10, 2002 Implementing HACCP Plan, Food Processing Center
University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE
|2012 – Current||Associate Professor; School of Food Science, University of Idaho|
|2008 – 2012||Associate Professor; Department of Nutrition & Food Sciences, Texas Woman’s University|
|2004 – Current||Adjunct Professor; Department of Food Science & Technology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Center for Environmental Health and Toxicology, University of Nebraska Medical Center
|2004 – 2008||Assistant Professor; Department of Nutrition & Food Sciences, Texas Woman’s University|
|2001 – 2004||Research Assistant Professor; Department of Food Science & Technology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln|
|2000 – 2001||Postdoctoral Research Associate; Department of Food Science & Technology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln|
|1998 – 1999||Lecturer; Department of Food & Nutrition, College of Allied Health, Korea University, Seoul, Korea
Department of Food Science & Nutrition, Duksung Women’s University, Seoul, Korea
|1998 – 2000||Postdoctoral Research Associate; The Institute of Biotechnology, Korea University, Seoul, Korea|
Honors and Awards
|Scholarship Award||2012||College of Health Sciences, TWU|
|Distinction in Scholarship||2009||Texas Woman’s University|
|Post-doctoral Research Fellowship||1998||Korea Science and Engineering Foundation|
|ETCGP Graduate Fellowship||1995-1997||Environmental Toxicology and Carcinogenecity Graduate Program, Eppley Cancer Institute, University of Nebraska Medical Center, NE|
- Voss, K.A., L.B. Bullerman, A. Bianchini, M.A. Hanna, L.S. Jackson, and D Ryu. 2011. Reduced toxicity of fumonisin B1 in corn grits by twin-screw extrusion with added glucose. Mol. Nutr. Food Res. 55:S312-S320.
- Jackson, L.S., J. Jablonski, L.B. Bullerman, A. Bianchini, M.A. Hanna, K.A. Voss, A.D. Hollub, and D Ryu. 2011. Effect of glucose in reduction of fumonisin B1 in corn grits during twin-screw extrusion. J. Food Sci. 76:T150-T155.
- Ryu, D., A. Bianchini, L.B. Bullerman. 2008. Effects of Processing on Mycotoxins. Stewart Postharvest Rev. 4(6):1-7.
- Voss, K.A., L.B. Bullerman, A. Bianchini, M.A. Hanna, and D Ryu. 2008. Reduced toxicity of fumonisin B1 in corn grits by single-screw extrusion with added glucose. J. Food Prot. 71(10):2036-2041.
- Obritsch, J.A., D. Ryu, L.E. Lampila, and L.B. Bullerman. 2008. Antibacterial effects of long-chain polyphosphates on selected spoilage and pathogenic bacteria. J. Food Prot. 71(7):1401-1405.
- Bullerman, L.B., A. Bianchini, M.A. Hanna, L.S. Jackson, J. Jablonski, and D Ryu. 2008. Reduction of fumonisin B1 in corn grits by single-screw extrusion. J. Agric. Food Chem. 56(7):2400-2405.
- Kwon, J., D. Ryu, and L.K. Zottarelli. 2007. Food handling practices and operators’ attitudes toward food safety at faith-based organizations in Louisiana where hurricane evacuee shelters were provided in 2005. Food Prot. Trends, 27(2):84-89.
- Chung, S.H., D. Ryu, E.K. Kim, and L.B. Bullerman. 2005. Enzyme-assisted extraction of moniliformin from extruded corn grits. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53(13):5074-5078.
- Ryu, D., M.A. Hanna, K.A. Eskridge, and L.B. Bullerman. 2003. Heat stability of zearalenone in an aqueous buffered model system. J. Agric. Food Chem. 51(6):1746-1748
- Pineda-Valdes, G., D. Ryu, M.A. Jackson, and L.B. Bullerman. 2003. Reduction of moniliformin in corn by heat processing. J. Food Sci. 68(3):1031-1035.
- Park, J.W., B.S. Song, D. Ryu, C. Lee, and Y.B. Kim. 2002. In vitro bactericidal and anticancer activity of new metabolite, ARK42, isolated from Aspergillus repens K42. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 12(6): 1017-1021.
- Pineda-Valdes, G., D. Ryu, D.S. Jackson, L.B. Bullerman. 2002. Reduction of moniliformin during alkaline cooking of corn. Cereal Chem. 79(6):779-782.
- Kim, E.K., D.H. Shon, J.Y. Yoo, D. Ryu, C. Lee, and Y.B. Kim, 2001. Natural occurrence of aflatoxins in Korean meju. Food Addit. Contam. 18(2):151-156.
- Kim, E.K., D.H. Shon, D. Ryu, J.W. Park, H.J. Hwang, and Y.B. Kim. 2000. Occurrence of aflatoxin M1 in Korean dairy products determined by ELISA and HPLC. Food Addit. Contam. 17(1):59-64.
- Ryu, D and L.B. Bullerman. 1999. Measurement of the estrogenic activity of zearalenone by cell culture technique. Food Sci. Biotech. 8(4):227-231.
- Ryu, D. and L.B. Bullerman. 1999. Effect of cycling temperatures on the production of deoxynivalenol and zeralenone by Fusarium graminearum NRRL 5883. J. Food Prot. 62(12):1451-1455.
- Ryu, D., C. Munimbazi, and L.B. Bullerman. 1999. Fumonisin B1 production by Fusarium moniliforme and Fusarium proliferatum as affected by cycling temperatures. J. Food Prot. 62(12):1456-1460.
- Ryu, D., M. A. Hanna and L. B. Bullerman. 1999. Stability of zearalenone during extrusion of corn grits. J. Food Prot. 62(12):1482-1484.
- Ryu, D and L.B. Bullerman. 1998. Incidence of Fusarium and other molds in Korean field crops. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 3(1):44-48.
- Choi, W. J., D. Ryu, J. W. Lee, M.H. So, and Y.B. Kim. 1998. Production of Streptomyces albus KSM-35 amylase from Bacillus subtilis LKS88 haboring the recombinant plasmid pASA240. Korean J. Food Nutr. 11(4):381-387.
- Kim, E.K., D. Ryu, D.H. Shon, S.H. Chung and Y.B. Kim. 1998. Natural occurrence of fumonisin B1 in Korean polished rice and its processed foods by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 7(3):221-224.
- Ryu, D., S. K. Katta, L. B. Bullerman, M. A. Hanna, and A. Gennadios. 1996. Viability in methyl soyate of microbial contaminants from farm fuel storage tanks. Trans. ASAE. 39(6):1200-1203.
- Ryu, D. and D.L. Holt.1993. Growth inhibition of Penicillium expansum by several commonly used food ingredients. J. Food Prot. 56(10):862-867.