Caleb Nindo, Ph.D.
Carolyn Hovde Bohach
OFFICE: 119 Agricultural Science Building
PHONE: (208) 885-9683
FAX: (208) 885-2567
See more about Dr. Nindo, his research, teaching and publications at
Physical Properties of Foods.
My research includes investigations on novel dehydration methods and their effect on bioactive compounds in food, especially antioxidants found in Northwest berries, berry juices or their dehydrated extracts. My other research involves studying the physical-chemical properties of foods, including rheology, glass liquid transition, and how they affect food quality during and after processing. My laboratory is equipped with state-of-art modulated differential scanning calorimeters; rheometer, dynamic thermal mechanical analyzer, controlled temperature-humidity ovens, and others related facilities for study of food materials. Another project currently underway will facilitate the teaching of instrumental measurement of physicochemical properties of foods.
|UGAS, Iwate Univ., Japan||Ph.D.
Bioresource Sciences specializing in Food Engineering
|Univ. of Nairobi, Kenya||M.S.
Agriculture and Food Engineering
|Univ. of Nairobi, Kenya||B.S., Agricultural Engineering||1988|
Selected Peer Review Publications
- Nindo, C.I. and J. Tang. 2007. Refractance Window Technology: A novel contact drying method. Invited paper for 25th Anniversary Special Issue of Drying Technology – An International Journal, 27(1): 37-48.
- Nindo, C.I., J.R. Powers, and J. Tang. 2007. Influence of Refractance Window evaporation on quality of juices from small fruits. J. Food Science & Technology (LWT), 40(6):1000-1007.
- Nindo, C.I., J. Tang, J.R. Powers, and P. Singh. 2007. Rheological properties of blueberry puree for processing applications. J. Food Science & Technology (LWT), 40(2):292-299 Nindo, C.I., J. Tang, J.R. Powers, and P. Singh. 2005. Viscosity of blueberry and red raspberry juices for processing applications. J. Food Engineering, 69:343-350.
- Nindo, C.I., J. Tang, J.R. Powers, and K. Bolland. 2004. Energy consumption during Refractance Window evaporation of selected berry juices. Int. J. Energy Research 28(12): 1089-1100.
- Nindo, C.I., S. Ting, S.W. Wang, J. Tang and J.R. Powers. 2003. Evaluation of drying technologies for retention of physical and chemical quality of green asparagus (Asparagus officinalis, L.). J. Food Science & Technology (LWT), 36:507-516.
- Nindo, C.I., H. Feng, G.Q. Shen, J. Tang and D.H. Kang. 2003. Energy utilization and microbial reduction in a new film drying system. J. Food Processing & Preservation. 27:117-136.
- Kanali, C., C.I. Nindo, A. Anyangu, J. Nozaka and H. Murase. 2000. Neural network prediction of grain moisture content in a deep-bed dryer. J. Applied Biol. Science, 6(2): 87-100.
- Kudo, Y., C.I. Nindo and E. Bekki. 1996. Studies on sun drying of raw rough rice (Part 4): Drying characteristics and solar radiation on a wavy surface layer. J. Jap. Soc. Agr. Mach., 58(1): 3-7. (Japanese)
- Nindo, C.I., Y. Kudo and E. Bekki. 1995. Test model for studying sun drying of raw rough rice using far-infrared radiation. Drying Technology, 13(1&2): 225-238.
- Kudo, Y., C.I. Nindo and E. Bekki. 1995. Studies on sun drying of raw rough rice (Part 3): Drying characteristics and heat balance in plane surface bed. J. Jap. Soc. of Agr. Mach., 57(4): 17-25. (Japanese)
- Kudo, Y., C.I. Nindo and E. Bekki. 1994. Studies on sun drying of raw rough rice (Part 2): Heat balance in thin layer and drying characteristics investigation of meteorological conditions in developing countries. J. Jap. Soc. of Agr. Mach., 56(3): 27-32. (Japanese)
- Nindo, C.I., Y. Kudo and E. Bekki. 1994. Studies on sun drying of raw rough rice (Part 1): Thin layer drying model. J. Jap. Soc. of Agr. Mach. 56(2): 33-40.
Selected Conference Papers
- Nindo, C.I. and Tang, J. Refractance Window Drying: Overview of Novel Contact Surface Drying Technology. 5th Asia-Pacific Drying Conference, Hong Kong Univ. of Science & Technology, Aug. 13-15, 2007.
- Nindo C.I., Powers, J.R., Tang, J. Glass Transition and Rheological Properties of Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis, L.) Dried by Different Methods. ASABE Annual International Meeting, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Jun 17-20, 2007
- Nindo, C.I., Tang, J., Cakir, E., Powers, J.R. Potential of Refractance Window Technology for Value Added Processing of Fruits and Vegetables in Developing Countries. ASAE Annual International Meeting, Portland Convention Center, Portland, Oregon, July 9-12, 2006.
- Nindo, C.I., Swan, M., Tang, J., Pannkuk, C., Bunderson, T. “Experience of Washington State University in partnerships for agricultural development” & “A proposal for value added processing of fruits, vegetables, and other food ingredients for sustainable livelihoods in East Africa” US-Japan Dialogue Seminar, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan, 10/30-11/02, 2005.
- Nindo, C.I. Tang, J. Powers, J.R. Influence of Refractance Window Evaporation on Quality of Juices from Small Fruits. ASAE Annual International Meeting, Tampa Convention Center, Tampa, Florida, July 17 – 20, 2005.
- Nindo, C.I., Tang, J., Powers, J.R., Magoon, R.E., Bolland, K. 2004. Refractance Window Technology for Drying and Evaporation of Liquid Foods. ASAE/CSAE Annual International Meeting, August 1-4, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Nindo, C.I., J. Tang, J.R. Powers and K. Bolland. Energy consumption during Refractance Window® evaporation of selected berry juices. ASAE International Conference, Las Vegas, NV, July 27-30, 2003.
- Nindo, C.I., S.W. Wang, S. Ting, J. Tang and J.R. Powers. Evaluation of microwave spouted bed and other technologies for drying of green asparagus slices. ASAE /CIGR International Conference, Chicago- Illinois, July 28-31, 2002.
- Feng, H., G-Q. Shen, D.H. Kang, C.I. Nindo, and J. Tang. Microbial reduction in Refractance Window drying operations. ASAE International Conf., Sacramento – CA, July 29- Aug 1, 2001.
- Tang, J., C.I. Nindo and J.K. Fellman. Advanced drying technologies for berry products. Proceedings of 2001 Annual Conference of Northwest Center for Small Fruits Research, Boise, Idaho, Nov. 26-27, 2001.