Greg Möller, Ph.D.
Carolyn Hovde Bohach
University of Idaho
OFFICE: Food Research Center, Rm 204a
Not currently accepting graduate student applications.
- Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
- Biogeochemistry of As, Se, and P
- Water Quality
- Food Safety
Our research group conducts translational, trans-disciplinary research to advance the goals of sustainability by developing new knowledge and innovations in the area of sustainable solutions for water resources. We have had considerable impact on individuals, communities, and environmental quality in a regional, national, and international context. This work has resulted in five US patents issued and licensed in the past five years for new approaches for sustainable water treatment where we successfully engineered reactive filtration processes that are modeled on nature. These new technologies have met with commercial success for municipal and industrial wastewater treatment, and they have been installed across the United States and in six other countries, including the US municipality that was issued the lowest nutrient phosphorus discharge permit in the nation. The technologies are certified by the Korean Ministry of the Environment and are being implemented at numerous South Korean wastewater plants as a part of the country-wide Four Great Rivers Project. Our current pilot work configuring reactive filtration for catalytic oxidation of trace organic compounds and pathogens demonstrates high efficiency and practicality for emerging threats to public health and environmental quality. Over a million people across the globe now have softer impact on water resources because of these innovations.
- FS/EnvS 436/536: Principles of Sustainability
An Exploration of Sustainability Issues
- FS 409/509: Principles of Environmental Toxicology
The Study of Toxic Substances in the Environment
- FS 464/564: Food Toxicology : A Webcast Lecture Course
The Study of Toxic Substances in the Human Food Chain
For descriptions of the courses, see Courses page.
|University of California, Davis||Ph.D., Physical Chemistry||1985|
Recent Research Publications
- Bartrem, C., Tirima, S., Von Lindern, I., Von Braun, M. and Moller, G. (2013) Unknown risk: co-exposure to lead and other heavy metals among children living in small-scale mining communities in Zamfara State, Nigeria. (accepted with Revision; International Journal of Environmental Health)
- Golmohamadi, A., Möller, G., Powers, J.R., Nindo, C.I. Effect of ultrasound frequency on antioxidant activity, total phenolic and anthocyanin content of red raspberry (Rubus idaeus) puree. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry (ULTSON-D-12-00215, In press 2013).
- Möller, G. 2012. Doculectures: Surmounting the Live Class to Online 2-D Challenge with New Media and the Cognitive Neuroscience of Learning and Memory. Sloan Consortium Effective Practice. Web: <http://sloanconsortium.org/effective_practices/doculectures-surmounting-live-class-online-2-d-challenge-new-media-and-cognitive> Invited peer-reviewed practice paper.
- Oram, L. L., Strawn, D. G., and Möller, G. 2010. Rhizosphere Selenium Speciation and Bioavailability in Symphyotrichum eatonii from Reclaimed Mine Soils. Environmental Science and Technology DOI: 10.1021/es1029766.
- Oram, L. L., Strawn, D. G., Morra, M. J., and Möller, G. 2010. Selenium Biogeochemical Cycling and Fluxes in the Hyporheic Zone of a Mining-Impacted Stream. Environmental Science and Technology 44 (11), 4176–4183. DOI: 10.1021/es100149u.
- Möller, G. 2010. The Curious Case of the Epicurean Nut: Channeling Sherlock Holmes to unravel the mystery of pine nut mouth. Feature article, May 2010, Food Technology 64:5.
- Doblin, M., Fan, T., Foster, S., Garrett, W., Maher, W., Möller, G., Oram, L., Roach, A., and Wallschläger, D. 2010. Environmental Sources, Speciation and Partitioning of Selenium in: Chapman P.M., Adams W.J., Brooks M.L., Delos C.G., Luoma S.N., Maher W.A., Ohlendorf H.M., Presser T.S., Shaw D.P. (eds). Ecological Assessment of Selenium in the Aquatic Environment. SETAC Press, Pensacola, FL, USA.
- Hardy, R. W., Oram, L. L., and G. Möller. 2010. Effects of Dietary Selenomethionine on Cutthroat Trout (Oncorhynchus clarki bouvieri) Growth and Reproductive Performance over a Life Cycle. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. 2009-DOI 10.1007/s00244-009-9392-x Volume 58, Number 1: pp 237-245
- “Reactive Filtration: A Case Study in Translational Engineering for Sustainable Water Resources.” Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI. 2012.
- “Principles of Sustainability: A Case Study in Crowdsourcing a Cinematic Doculecture Course for a Global Classroom.” University of California, Davis. 2012.
- “Principles of Sustainability: A Case Study in Crowdsourcing a Cinematic Doculecture Course for a Global Classroom.” 5th Annual International Symposium for Emerging Technologies for Online Learning. Sloan Consortium. Las Vegas NV. 2012.
- “Reactive Filtration as a Sustainable Solution for Tertiary Treatment of Wastewater” Myongji University, Seoul South Korea. 2012.
- “Securing Health: A Sustainable Systems Approach” Environmental Health Conference. St. Patrick’s Hospital, Missoula, MT. 2012.
- “Our Plastic Footprint” Environmental Health Conference. St. Patrick’s Hospital, Missoula, MT. 2012.
- “Basic Chemistry of Dissolved Nonreactive Phosphorus and Metal Salt Reactions.” Water Environment Research Foundation (WERF) NonReactive Phosphorus National Workshop Spokane, WA – August 11-12, 2009.