Kerry Huber, Ph.D.
Carolyn Hovde Bohach
OFFICE: 118 Agricultural Science Building
PHONE: (208) 885-4661
FAX: (208) 885-2567
Starch chemistry and modification; Cereal science; Role of starch in processed foods; Food chemistry; Quality of wheat and potatoes
- FSHN 489: Food Product Development
- FSHN 513: Food Carbohydrates
For descriptions of the courses, see Courses page.
|Purdue University||Ph.D., Food Science||1998|
|Brigham Young University||M.S., Food Chemistry||1992|
- Potato Processing
- Food Labeling
Recent Research Publications
- Kim, H.S., and Huber, K.C. 2007. A simple purification (desalting) procedure to facilitate structural analysis of alkali-solubilized/neutralized starch solution by intermediate-pressure size exclusion chromatography. J. Agric. Food Chem. 55:4944-4948
- Hristov, A.N., Zaman, S., Vanderpol, M., Szasz, P., Huber, K.C., and Greer, D. 2007. Effect of a saponin based surfactant and ageing time on ruminal degradability of flaked corn grain dry matter and starch. J. Animal Sci. 85:1459-1466.
- Kim, H.S, Higley, J.S. and Huber, K.C. 2006. Alkaline dissolution of starch facilitated by microwave heating for analysis by size-exclusion chromatography (SEC). J. Agric. Food Chem. 54:9664-9669.
- Geera, B.L., Nelson, J.E, Souza, E., and Huber, K.C. 2006. Granule bound starch synthase I (GBBSI) gene effects related to soft wheat flour/starch characteristics and properties. Cereal Chem. 83:544-550.
- Geera, B.L., Nelson, J.E, Souza, E., and Huber, K.C. 2006. Composition and properties of A- and B-type starch granules of wild-type, partial waxy, and waxy soft wheat. Cereal Chem. 83:551-557.
- Geera, B.L., Nelson, J.E, Souza, E., and Huber, K.C. 2006. Starch factors influencing growing environment-induced fluctuation of flour pasting behavior in wild-type and partial waxy soft wheat. 83:558-564.
- Foley, A.E., Hristov, A.N., Melgar A., Ropp, J.K., Etter R.P., Zaman, S., Hunt, C.W., and Huber, K.C. 2006. Effect of barley and its amylopectin content on ruminal fermentation and nitrogen utilization in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy. Sci. 89:4321:4335.
- Takhar, P.S., Kulkarni, M.V., and Huber, K.C. 2006. Dynamic viscoelastic properties of pasta as a function of temperature and water content. J. Texture Studies 37:696-710.
- Huber, K.C., and McDonald, A, and BeMiller, J.N. 2006. Carbohydrate Chemistry, In Handbook of Food Science, Technology, and Engineering, Y. Hui, (Ed.), CRC Press, New York.
- Han, J.H, Gray, J.A., Huber, K.C., and BeMiller, J.N. 2006. Derivatization of starch granules as influenced by the presence of channels and reaction conditions, In Advances in Bioploymers: Molecules, Clusters, Networks, and Interactions, M. Fishman (Ed.), ACS Symposium Series (935), Oxford University Press, Washington D.C.
Recent Research Presentations
- Kim, H.S., Higley, J.S., and Huber, K.C. 2006. Alkaline dissolution of starch facilitated by microwave heating for analysis by size-exclusion chromatography (SEC), presented at the AACC International annual meeting , San Francisco, CA.
- Higley, J.S., Kim, H.S., and Huber, K.C. 2006. Elucidation of starch granule surface composition and structure using site-directed derivation coupled with gel permeation chromatography, presented at the AACC International annual meeting , San Francisco, CA.
- Kim, H.S., Higley, J.S., and Huber, K.C. 2005. Cavities and channels within normal and waxy soft wheat starch granules, presented at the AACC International annual meeting , Orlando, FL.
Invited Presentations/Volunteer Seminars
- Huber, K.C. 2006. Probing starch granule structure via directed derivatization, presented at the Whistler Center for Carbohydrate Research Technical Conference, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.
- Ross, A.S., Saint-Pierre, C., Huber, K.C., Baik, B.K., and Morris, C.F. 2006. Tri-state wheat research update, Portland, OR.
- Huber, K.C. 2005. Starch granule surface composition and reactivity aided by directed derivatization, presented at the Starch Round Table international gathering in Orlando, FL.
- Huber, K.C. 2004. Wheat starch A- and B-type granule composition, pasting, and reactivity, presented as part of the AACC annual meeting symposium (Starch: Size Does Matter), San Diego, CA.