Girish Ganjyal, Ph.D.
Carolyn Hovde Bohach
Assistant Professor &
Extension Food Processing Specialist
OFFICE: FSHN 110
LAB: FSHN 212
PHONE: (509) 335-5613
FAX: (509) 335-4815
Currently accepting applications for one Ph.D. graduate student opening, in the areas of process engineering and cereal chemistry.
- Ph.D., 2004, Food and Bioprocess Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE
- MBA., 2006, Benedictine College, Atchison, KS
- M. Eng., 2000, Post-harvest and Food Process Engineering, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand
- B. Tech., 1998, Agricultural Engineering, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, India
Research and Professional Experience
- Assistant Professor, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, Feb 2013 to date
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, UNL, May 2004 to date
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Grain Science and Industry, KSU, Nov 2008 to date
- Principal Engineer, PepsiCo Advanced Research, PepsiCo, Plano, TX, August 2009 to Feb 2013
- Principal Scientist, MGP Ingredients Inc., Atchison, KS, February 2004 to July 2009
Honors and Awards
- Excellence in Extension Award. CAHNRS, WSU. 2017. In recognition of innovation, scope, impact of extension programs, and leadership.
- Provost Featured Faculty. WSU. January 2016. In recognition of services.
- Team Interdisciplinary Award, CAHNRS, WSU. 2015. In recognition of team work on quinoa projects.
- AACC International Young Scientist Research Award, 2012.
- Recognized by the Chairman of PepsiCo for significant contributions in extrusion processing and frying process. 2012.
- Awarded with “Pursue Great Science” at PepsiCo Advanced Research, August 2010 and September 2011.
- Scientist of the Year. 2006. MGP Ingredients Inc. for significant contributions in the areas of Wheatex, Convergent Proteins and Hydrolyzed Wheat Proteins. Awarded on August 18th 2006.
- Ganjyal GM. 2011. Supercritical fluid extrusion method, apparatus and system for making a food product. US 13/306,634.
- Barber KA, French J, Ganjyal GM, Koh CJ, Sullivan SL. 2011. Fried food product with reduced oil content. US 13/904,889.
- Ganjyal GM, Maningat CC, Bassi S. 2008. Process for preparing hybrid proteins. US Patent # 7989592.
- Ganjyal GM, Woo K, Maningat CC, Bassi S. 2006. Expanded products with high protein content. US Patent # 8741370 B2.
- Woo K, Bassi S, Maningat CC, Ganjyal GM, Zhao, L. 2005. Mineral-bound starch compositions and methods of making the same.US Patent # US8753705 B.
Refereed Journal Articles
* Corresponding author and/or major author
† Dr. Ganjyal’s graduate student or post-doc
- Kallu S†, Kowalski RJ, Ganjyal GM*. 2017. Impacts of Cellulose Fiber Particle Sizes and Starch Types on Expansion during Extrusion Processing. Journal of Food Science. (In Press).
- Aluwi NA†, Murphy K, and Ganjyal GM*. 2017. Physicochemical characterization of 28 different varieties of quinoa. Cereal Chemistry. (In Press).
- Kowalski RJ†, Meldrum A, Morris CF, Joyner H, Ganjyal GM*. 2017. Waxy wheat flour as a freeze-thaw stable ingredient through rheological studies. Food and Bioprocess Technology. In Press.
- Li C† and Ganjyal GM*. 2017. Chemical composition, pasting and thermal properties of selected varieties of twenty-two whole pea and lentil flours. Cereal Chemistry. (In Press). doi:10.1094/CCHEM-04-16-0080-R.
- Li C†, Kowalski RJ†, Li L and Ganjyal GM*. 2017. Extrusion characteristics of select varieties of dry whole yellow and green pea flours. Cereal Chemistry. (In Press). http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/CCHEM-04-16-0079-R.
- Wang S†, Kowalski RJ†, Kang Y, Kiszonas AM, Zhu M, Ganjyal GM*. 2017. Effects of the particle sizes and levels of inclusions of cherry pomace on the physical and structural properties of direct expanded corn starch. Food and Bioprocess Technology. 10(2017):394-406.
- Bajaj PR, Bhunia K, Kleiner L, Joyner (Melito) HS, Smith D, Ganjyal G & Sablani SS. 2017. Improving functional properties of pea protein isolate for microencapsulation of flaxseed oil Journal of Microencapsulation. In Press. DOI: 10.1080/02652048.2017.1317045.
- Habiyaremye C, Matanguihan JB, Guedes JD, Ganjyal GM, Whiteman MR, Kidwell KK, Murphy KM. 2017. Proso Millet (Panicum miliaceum L.) and its Potential for Cultivation in the Pacific Northwest, U.S.A.: A Review. Frontiers. 7(1971):1-17.
- Aluwi NA†, Gu BJ†, Dhumal GS†, Medina-Meza IG†, Murphy K, and Ganjyal GM*. 2016. Impacts of scarification and degermination on the expansion characteristics of select quinoa varieties during extrusion processing. Journal of Food Science. 81(12): E2939-E2949.
- Fleischman EF, Kowalski RJ†, Morris CF, Nguyen T, Li C, Ganjyal GM and Ross CF. 2016. Physical, textural and antioxidant properties of extruded waxy wheat flour snack supplemented with several varieties of bran. Journal of Food Science. 81(11): E2726-E2733.
- Medina-Meza IG†, Aluwi N†, Saunders S and Ganjyal GM*. 2016. Profiling of fatty acid, phytosterols and phenolics in oil fraction of 30 varieties of quinoa. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 64: 8583-8591.
- Millin TM†, Medina-Meza IG†, Walters B, Huber KC, Rasco BA, and Ganjyal GM*. 2016. Changes in the physical and structural properties of French fries during the par and finish frying processes resulting from frying oil temperatures. Food and Bioprocess Technology. 2016. pp 1 -12.
- Kowalski RJ†, Gabriela MI†, Thapa B†, Murphy K, and Ganjyal GM*. 2016. Extrusion processing of Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.) var. Cherry Vanilla. Journal of Cereal Science, 70(July 2016): 91-98.
- Ditudompo S, Takhar PS, Ganjyal GM, Hanna MA. 2016. Effect of extrusion conditions on expansion characteristics of cornstarch extrudates. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers. 59 (4), 969-983.
- Kowalski RJ†, Morrow C, McDonald A, and Ganjyal, GM*. 2016. X-ray density profiler as a new tool to gain better understanding of the extruded products by measuring the cross-sectional density profiles. Food Structure. Vol 8(2016): 1-7.
- Kaisangsri N†, Kowalski RJ†, Wijesekara I†, Kerdchoechuen O, Laohakunjit N, Ganjyal GM*. 2016. Enhancing the expansion and quality of the corn starch extrudates with carrot pomace. LWT Food Science & Technology. Vol 68(4): 391-399.
- Kowalski RJ†, Morris C, and Ganjyal GM*. 2015. Waxy soft white wheat: Extrusion characteristics, thermal and rheological properties. Cereal Chemistry. Vol. 92(2): 145-153.
- Rahman R, Hiregoudar S, Veeranagouda M, Ramachandra CT, Nidoni U, Roopa RS, Kowalski RJ†, and Ganjyal GM*. 2015. Effects of wheat grass powder incorporation on physiochemical properties of muffins. International Journal Food Properties. Vol. 18(4): 785-795.
- Ditudompo S, Takhar PS, Ganjyal GM, Hanna MA. 2013. The effect of temperature and moisture on the mechanical properties of extruded corn starch. Journal of Texture Studies. Vol. 44(3): 225-237.
Prior to 2013
- Kumar A, Ganjyal GM, Jones DD and Hanna MA. 2007. Experimental determination of longitudinal expansion during extrusion of starches. Cereal Chemistry. 84(5): 480-484.
- Kumar A, Ganjyal GM, Jones DD and Hanna MA. 2007. Modeling residence time distribution in a twin-screw extruder as a series of ideal steady-state flow reactors. Journal of Food Engineering. 84(3): 441-448.
- Ganjyal GM*, Weber R, Hanna MA. 2006. Laboratory composting of starch acetate and polylactic acid blended foams. Bioresource Technology. 98(16): 3176-3179.
- Ganjyal GM*, Hanna MA. 2006. Role of blowing agents during extrusion of high amylose starch acetate. Cereal Chemistry. 83(6): 577-583.
- Ganjyal GM*, Fang Q, Hanna MA. 2006. Freezing points and small scale deicing tests of deicers prepared from grain sorghum. Bioresource Technology. 98(15): 2814-2818.
- Ganjyal GM*, Hanna MA, Supprung, P, Noomhorm, A and Jones DD. 2006. Modeling selected properties of extruded rice flour and rice starch by neural networks and statistics. Cereal Chemistry. 83(3): 223-227.
- Kumar A., Ganjyal GM*, Hanna MA, Jones DD. 2006. Digital image processing for measurement of residence time distribution in a laboratory extruder. Journal of Food Engineering. 75(2006): 237-244.
- Wang LJ, Ganjyal GM*, Weller CL, Jones DD, Hanna MA. 2005. Modeling of bubble growth dynamics and no-isothermal expansion in starch-based foam during extrusion. Advances in Polymer Technology. 24(1): 29-45.
- Ganjyal GM*, Hanna MA, Devadattam DSK. 2005. Processing of Sapota (sapodilla): Powdering aspects. Food Technology. 3(3): 326-330.
- Ganjyal GM*, Reddy N, Yang YQ and Hanna MA. 2004. Biodegradable packaging foams of starch acetate blended with corn stalk fibers. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. Vol. 93: 2627-2633.
- Wang LJ, Ganjyal GM*, Weller CL, Jones DD, Hanna MA. 2004. Simulation of fluid flow, heat transfer and melting of biomaterials in a single – screw extruder. Journal of Food Science. Vol. 69(5): E212-E223.
- Ganjyal GM*, Hanna MA. 2004. Effects of extruder die nozzle dimensions on expansion and micrographic characteristics of acetylated starch. Starch/Starke. Vol. 56 (3): 108-117.
- Ganjyal GM* & Hanna MA. 2002. A review on residence time distribution (RTD) in food extruders and study on the potential of neural networks in RTD modeling. Journal of Food Science. Vol. 67(6): 1996-2002.
- Gu B, Kowalski RJ, Ganjyal GM. 2017. Food Extrusion Processing: An Overview. WSU Extension. In Press.
- Kalambur S, Ganjyal GM*. 2015. Raising the profile of food processing. Cereal Foods World. Vol. 60(1): 18-26.
- Backman CS., Ganjyal GM. Handling your catch: Quick tips to delivering quality salmon harvests. WSU Extension. FS183E: 1-4.