Carolyn Hovde Bohach, Ph.D.
Carolyn Hovde Bohach
SFS OFFICE: 203 Ag Biotech Building
PHONE: (208) 885-5906
INBRE OFFICE: Student Health 307
Not accepting graduate student applications.
My laboratory works on the enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC), which include the infamous O157:H7 serotype. Ingestion of these pathogenic bacteria can cause bloody diarrhea and the life-threatening hemolytic uremic syndrome. Healthy cattle are a reservoir for these pathogens and contaminated foods of bovine origin are most often implicated in human disease.
Projects include basic research to understand the relationship between healthy cattle and this human pathogen and applied research to develop effective pre-harvest interventions. Both approaches are aimed to ultimately improve the safety of our food supply. Molecular and biochemical techniques are used to relate the bacterial virulence factors and other features to its ability to persist in the ruminant gastrointestinal tract and on the farm. Microbiological and molecular genetic techniques are used to identify pre-harvest management practices that may reduce the risk of EHEC-positive cattle from entering our food chain. Development of a vaccine to prevent cattle from carrying these human pathogens is also underway. In addition, we are investigating the possibility that E. coli O157:H7 and other Shiga toxin-producing E. coli play beneficial roles in ruminant animals. To this end, we have shown that Shiga toxin, an exotoxin produced by EHEC and other non-pathogenic E. coli, has antiviral activity against bovine leukemia virus.
- Haiqing Sheng H, J Wang, JY Lim, C Davitt, and SA Minnich, CJ Hovde. 2011. Internalization of Escherichia coli O157:H7 by bovine rectal epithelial cells. Frontiers Microbiol. 2:32. doi:10.3389/fmicb.2011.00032.
- Ferens, WA and CJ Hovde. 2010. Escherichia coli O157:H7: Animal Reservoir and sources of human infection. J. Foodborne Path and Dis. PMCID 21117940
- Kolodziejek, Anna M, DR Schneider, HN Rohde, AJ Wojtowicz, GA Bohach, SA Minnich, CJ Hovde. 2010. Outer membrane protein X (Ail) contributes to Yersinia pestis virulence in pneumonic plague and its activity is dependent on LPS core length. Infect. Immun. 78:5233-5243.
- Hughes, DT, Terekhova, DA, L Liou, CJ Hovde, Sahl, JW, AV Patankar, JE Gonzalez, TS Edrington, DA Rasko, and V Sperandio. 2010. Chemical sensing in mammalian host–bacterial commensal associations. Proceed. Natl. Acad. Sci.107:9831-9836.
- Lim, JY, H Sheng, S Shringi, TE Besser, R Kaul, and CJ Hovde. 2010. Phenotypic Diversity of Escherichia coli O157:H7 Strains Associated with the Plasmid O157. J. Microbiol. 48:347-35. DOI 10.1007/s12275-010-9228-4
- Yoon, JW, MK Park, CJ Hovde, SH Cho, JC Kim, MS Park, W Kim. 2010. Characterization of BNT2, an intrinsically curved DNA of Escherichia coli O157:H7. Biochem. Biophys. Res.Comm. 391:1792-1797.
- Lim, JY, HJ La, H Sheng, LJ Forney, and CJ Hovde. 2010. Influence of Plasmid pO157 on Escherichia coli O157:H7 Sakai Biofilm Formation. PMID: 19966025. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 76:963-966.
- Lim, JY JW Yoon, and CJ Hovde. 2010. A brief overview of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and its plasmid O157. J Microbiol Biotech. 20:5-14.
- Hristov AN, G Varga, T Cassidy, M Long, K Heyler, SKR Karnati, B Corl, CJ Hovde, and I. Yoon. 2010. Effect of Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Product on Ruminal Fermentation and Nutrient Utilization in Dairy Cows. J. Dairy Sci. 93:682-692.