Carolyn Hovde Bohach, Ph.D.
Carolyn Hovde Bohach
PHONE: (208) 596-1747
INBRE OFFICE: Mines Building 317
Not currently accepting graduate student applications.
My laboratory works on the enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC), which include the infamous O157:H7 serotype. Ingestion of these pathogenic bacteria can cause bloody diarrhea and the life-threatening hemolytic uremic syndrome. Healthy cattle are a reservoir for these pathogens and contaminated foods of bovine origin are most often implicated in human disease.
Projects include basic research to understand the relationship between healthy cattle and this human pathogen and applied research to develop effective pre-harvest interventions. Both approaches are aimed to ultimately improve the safety of our food supply. Molecular and biochemical techniques are used to relate the bacterial virulence factors and other features to its ability to persist in the ruminant gastrointestinal tract and on the farm. Microbiological and molecular genetic techniques are used to identify pre-harvest management practices that may reduce the risk of EHEC-positive cattle from entering our food chain. Development of a vaccine to prevent cattle from carrying these human pathogens is also underway. In addition, we are investigating the possibility that E. coli O157:H7 and other Shiga toxin-producing E. coli play beneficial roles in ruminant animals. To this end, we have shown that Shiga toxin, an exotoxin produced by EHEC and other non-pathogenic E. coli, has antiviral activity against bovine leukemia virus.
- Van Hofwegen, D, CJ Hovde, and SA Minnich. 2016. Rapid evolution of citrate utilization by
Escherichia coli by direct selection requires citT and dctA. J. Bact. 198:1022-1034.
- Sheng, H, S Shringi, KNK Baker, SA Minnich, CJ Hovde*, and TE Besser*. *similar contribution. 2016.
Standardized Escherichia coli O157:H7 exposure studies in cattle provide evidence that bovine factors do not drive increased summertime colonization. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 82:964-971. doi:10.1128/AEM.02839-15
- Martorelli, L, CJ Hovde, DA Vilte, A Albanese, E Zotta, C Ibarra, RJC Cantet, EC Mercado and A
Cataldi. 2015. Impact of infection dose and previous serum antibodies against the locus of enterocyte effacement proteins on Escherichia coli O157:H7 shedding in calves following experimental infection. BioMed Res. Internatl. 2015, Article ID 290679, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/290679
- Kudva IT, Krastins B, Torres AG, Griffin RW, Sheng H, Sarracino DA, Hovde CJ, Calderwood SB, John M. 2015. The Escherichia coli O157:H7 cattle immuno-proteome includes outer membrane protein A (OmpA), a modulator of adherence to bovine recto-anal junction squamous epithelial (RSE) cells. Proteomics. Jan 23. doi: 10.1002/pmic.201400432. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:25643951
- Nguyen,YN, H Sheng, R Dakarapu, JR Falck, CJ Hovde, V Sperandio. 2013. The Acyl-Homoserine Lactone Synthase YenI from Yersinia enterocolitica Modulates Virulence Gene Expression in Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli. Infect. Immun. 81:4192-4199.
- Sheng, H, YN Nguyen, CJ Hovde, and V Sperandio. 2013. SdiA aids enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli carriage by cattle fed a forage or grain diet. 2013. Infect. Immun. 81:3472-3478.
- Kolodziejek, AM, AB Caplan, GA Bohach, AJ Paszczynski, SA Minnich, and CJ Hovde. 2013. Physiological levels of glucose induce membrane vesicle secretion and affect the lipid and protein composition of the Yersinia pestis surface. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 79:4509-14.
- Kudva, IT, CJ Hovde, and M John. 2012. Adherence of Non-O157 Shiga-Toxin Escherichia coli to Bovine Recto-anal Junction Squamous Epithelial Cells Appears to be Mediated by Mechanisms Distinct from those Used by O157. Foodborne Path. Dis. 10(4):375-81. doi: 10.1089/fpd.2012.1382. Epub 2013 Mar 19. PMID: 23510495.
- Kudva, IT, MA Davis, RW Griffin, J Garren, M Murray 4, M John, CJ Hovde, and SB Calderwood. 2012. Polymorphic Amplified Typing Sequences (PATS) and Pulsed-Field Gel Electrophoresis (PFGE) Yield Comparable Results in the Strain Typing of a Diverse Set of Bovine Escherichia coli O157 Isolates. Internat. J.Microbiol. doi:10.1155/2012/140105.Epub 2012 Aug 7. PMID:23049559
- Kolodziejek, AM, CJ Hovde, and SA Minnich. 2012. Yersinia pestis Ail: multiple roles of a single protein. Frontiers Cell Infect. Microbiol. Volume 2 doi:10.3389/fcimb.2012.00103 1-10. PMCID
- Seo, KS, JW Kim, JY Park, AK Viall, SS Minnich, HN Rohde, DR Schnider, SY Lim, JB Hong, BJ Hinnebusch, JL O’Loughlin, GA Bohach, CJ Hovdeand SA Minnich. 2012. The role of intimin/invasin-like protein (Ilp) in Yersinia pestis virulence. Infect. Immun. 80:3559-3569.
- Shringi, S, A García, K Lahmers, K Potter, S Muthupalani, A Swennes, CJ Hovde, D Call, J Fox, and TE Besser. 2012. Differential virulence of clinical and bovine-biased enterohemorrhagic E. coli O157:H7 genotypes in piglet and Dutch Belted rabbit models. Infect. Immun. 80:369-80.
- Haiqing Sheng H, J Wang, JY Lim, C Davitt, and SA Minnich, CJ Hovde. 2011. Internalization of Escherichia coli O157:H7 by bovine rectal epithelial cells. Frontiers Microbiol. 2:32. doi:10.3389/fmicb.2011.00032.
- Ferens, WA and CJ Hovde. 2010. Escherichia coli O157:H7: Animal Reservoir and sources of human infection. J. Foodborne Path and Dis. PMCID 21117940
- Kolodziejek, Anna M, DR Schneider, HN Rohde, AJ Wojtowicz, GA Bohach, SA Minnich, CJ Hovde. 2010. Outer membrane protein X (Ail) contributes to Yersinia pestis virulence in pneumonic plague and its activity is dependent on LPS core length. Infect. Immun. 78:5233-5243.
- Hughes, DT, Terekhova, DA, L Liou, CJ Hovde, Sahl, JW, AV Patankar, JE Gonzalez, TS Edrington, DA Rasko, and V Sperandio. 2010. Chemical sensing in mammalian host–bacterial commensal associations. Proceed. Natl. Acad. Sci.107:9831-9836.
- Lim, JY, H Sheng, S Shringi, TE Besser, R Kaul, and CJ Hovde. 2010. Phenotypic Diversity of Escherichia coli O157:H7 Strains Associated with the Plasmid O157. J. Microbiol. 48:347-35. DOI 10.1007/s12275-010-9228-4
- Yoon, JW, MK Park, CJ Hovde, SH Cho, JC Kim, MS Park, W Kim. 2010. Characterization of BNT2, an intrinsically curved DNA of Escherichia coli O157:H7. Biochem. Biophys. Res.Comm. 391:1792-1797.
- Lim, JY, HJ La, H Sheng, LJ Forney, and CJ Hovde. 2010. Influence of Plasmid pO157 on Escherichia coli O157:H7 Sakai Biofilm Formation. PMID: 19966025. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 76:963-966.
- Lim, JY JW Yoon, and CJ Hovde. 2010. A brief overview of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and its plasmid O157. J Microbiol Biotech. 20:5-14.
- Hristov AN, G Varga, T Cassidy, M Long, K Heyler, SKR Karnati, B Corl, CJ Hovde, and I. Yoon. 2010. Effect of Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Product on Ruminal Fermentation and Nutrient Utilization in Dairy Cows. J. Dairy Sci. 93:682-692.