*Currently accepting applications for 2 Ph.D. openings in the areas of food processing and food chemistry.
Research and Professional Experience
- Assistant Professor, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, Feb 2013 to date
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, UNL, May 2004 to date
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Grain Science and Industry, KSU, Nov 2008 to date
- Principal Engineer, PepsiCo Advanced Research, PepsiCo, Plano, TX, August 2009 to Feb 2013
- Principal Scientist, MGP Ingredients Inc., Atchison, KS, February 2004 to July 2009
Honors and Awards
- Faculty Excellence in Extension Award. CAHNRS, WSU. 2017. In recognition of innovation, scope, impact of extension programs, and leadership.
- Provost Featured Faculty. 2016. In recognition of excellent services to WSU.
- Team Interdisciplinary Award. CAHNRS, WSU. 2015. In recognition of teamwork on quinoa projects.
- AACC International Young Scientist Research Award. 2012. For the meritorious recognition of young scientists in evidence of strong contribution of cereal science and processing.
- Chairman’s Recognition. PepsiCo. For significant contributions of extrusion processing and frying process.
- Pursue Great Science. 2011 & 2010. PepsiCo Advanced Research. For uncovering major technical challenges through great science.
- Scientist of the Year. MGP Ingredients, Inc. For significant contributions in the areas of Wheatex, Convergent Proteins and Hydrolyzed Wheat Proteins.
- Graduate Student of the Year. 2004. ASAE Mid-Central Conference.
Refereed Journal Articles
* Corresponding author and/or major author
† Dr. Ganjyal’s graduate student or post-doc
1. Pietrysiak E†, Ganjyal GM*. 2018. Apple Peel Morphology and Attachment of Listeria Innocua through Aqueous Environment as shown by Scanning Electron Microscopy. Food Control. (In Press). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2018.04.049.(1,2,4,5,6).
2.Kowalski RJ†, Li C†, Ganjyal GM*. 2017. Optimizing twin-screw extrusion processing through regression modeling and genetic algorithms. Journal of Food Engineering. In Press. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2018.04.004.
3. Fu Y, Gu BJ†, Wang J, Gao J, Ganjyal GM, Wolcott MP. 2018. Novel micronized woody biomass process for production of cost-effective clean fermentable sugars. Bioresource Technology. 260: 311-320.
4. Masli MDP†, Rasco BA, and Ganjyal GM*. 2018. Composition and physicochemical characterization of fiber-rich food processing byproducts. Journal of Food Science. doi:10.1111/1750-3841.14081.
5. Gu BJ†, Wang J, Wolcott MP, and Ganjyal GM*. 2018. Increased the sugar yield from pre-milled Douglas-fir forest residuals with lower energy consumption by using planetary ball milling. Bioresource Technology. 251(2018): 93-98.
6. Pietrysiak E†, Smith DM, Smith BM, Ganjyal GM*. 2018. Enhanced Functionality of Pea-Rice Protein Isolate Blends through Direct Steam Injection Processing. Food Chemistry. 243 (2018): 338-344.
7. Kowalski RJ†, Hause JP†, Joyner (Melito) H, Ganjyal GM*. 2018. Waxy flour degradation as impacted by screw geometry and specific mechanical energy through a co-rotating twin screw extruder. Food Chemistry. 239 (2018): 688–696.
8. Bibi S, Kowalski JR†, Zhang S, Ganjyal GM, Zhu JM (2017) Stability and Functionality of Grape Pomace used as a Nutritive Additive During Extrusion Process. J Food Process Technology. 8: 680.
9. Kallu S†, Kowalski RJ, Ganjyal GM*. 2017. Impacts of Cellulose Fiber Particle Sizes and Starch Types on Expansion during Extrusion Processing. Journal of Food Science. (In Press).
10. Aluwi NA†, Murphy K, and Ganjyal GM*. 2017. Physicochemical characterization of 28 different varieties of quinoa. Cereal Chemistry. (In Press). doi/pdf/10.1094/CCHEM-10-16-0251-R.
11. Lee JL, Dahal S, Perez EG, Kowalski RJ†, Ganjyal GM, Ryu D. 2017. Reduction of Ochratoxin A in Oat Flakes by Twin-Screw Extrusion Processing. Journal of Food Protection. (In Press). doi:10.4315/0362 028X.JFP-16-559.
12. Kowalski RJ†, Meldrum A, Morris CF, Joyner H, Ganjyal GM*. 2017. Waxy wheat flour as a freeze-thaw stable ingredient through rheological studies. Food and Bioprocess Technology. 10(7), pp 1281–1296.
13. Li C† and Ganjyal GM*. 2017. Chemical composition, pasting and thermal properties of selected varieties of twenty-two whole pea and lentil flours. Cereal Chemistry. 94(3): 392-399.
14. Li C†, Kowalski RJ†, Li L and Ganjyal GM*. 2017. Extrusion characteristics of select varieties of dry whole yellow and green pea flours. Cereal Chemistry. 94(3): 385-391.
15. Wang S†, Kowalski RJ†, Kang Y, Kiszonas AM, Zhu M, Ganjyal GM*. 2017. Effects of the particle sizes and levels of inclusions of cherry pomace on the physical and structural properties of direct expanded corn starch. Food and Bioprocess Technology. 10(2017):394-406.
16. Bajaj PR, Bhunia K, Kleiner L, Joyner (Melito) HS, Smith D, Ganjyal G & Sablani SS. 2017. Improving functional properties of pea protein isolate for microencapsulation of flaxseed oil. Journal of Microencapsulation. April 2017. 1-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02652048.2017.1317045.
17. Habiyaremye C, Matanguihan JB, Guedes JD, Ganjyal GM, Whiteman MR, Kidwell KK, Murphy KM. 2017. Proso Millet (Panicum miliaceum L.) and its Potential for Cultivation in the Pacific Northwest U.S.A.: A Review. Frontiers. 7(1971):1-17.
18. Aluwi NA†, Gu BJ†, Dhumal GS†, Medina-Meza IG†, Murphy K, and Ganjyal GM*. 2016. Impacts of scarification and degermination on the expansion characteristics of select quinoa varieties during extrusion processing. Journal of Food Science. 81(12): E2939-E2949.
19. Fleischman EF, Kowalski RJ†, Morris CF, Nguyen T, Li C, Ganjyal GM and Ross CF. 2016. Physical, textural and antioxidant properties of extruded waxy wheat flour snack supplemented with several varieties of bran. Journal of Food Science. 81(11): E2726-E2733.
20. Medina-Meza IG†, Aluwi N†, Saunders S and Ganjyal GM*. 2016. Profiling of fatty acid, phytosterols and phenolics in oil fraction of 30 varieties of quinoa. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 64: 8583-8591.
21. Millin TM†, Medina-Meza IG†, Walters B, Huber KC, Rasco BA, and Ganjyal GM*. 2016. Changes in the physical and structural properties of French fries during the par and finish frying processes resulting from frying oil temperatures. Food and Bioprocess Technology. 2016. pp 1 -12.
22. Kowalski RJ†, Gabriela MI†, Thapa B†, Murphy K, and Ganjyal GM*. 2016. Extrusion processing of Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.) var. Cherry Vanilla. Journal of Cereal Science, 70(July 2016): 91-98.
23. Ditudompo S, Takhar PS, Ganjyal GM, Hanna MA. 2016. Effect of extrusion conditions on expansion characteristics of cornstarch extrudates. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers. 59 (4), 969-983.
24. Kowalski RJ†, Morrow C, McDonald A, and Ganjyal, GM*. 2016. X-ray density profiler as a new tool to gain better understanding of the extruded products by measuring the cross-sectional density profiles. Food Structure. Vol 8(2016): 1-7.
25. Kaisangsri N†, Kowalski RJ†, Wijesekara I†, Kerdchoechuen O, Laohakunjit N, Ganjyal GM*. 2016. Enhancing the expansion and quality of the corn starch extrudates with carrot pomace. LWT Food Science & Technology. Vol 68(4): 391-399.
26. Kowalski RJ†, Morris C, and Ganjyal GM*. 2015. Waxy soft white wheat: Extrusion characteristics, thermal and rheological properties. Cereal Chemistry. Vol. 92(2): 145-153.
27. Rahman R, Hiregoudar S, Veeranagouda M, Ramachandra CT, Nidoni U, Roopa RS, Kowalski RJ†, and Ganjyal GM*. 2015. Effects of wheat grass powder incorporation on physiochemical properties of muffins. International Journal Food Properties. Vol. 18(4): 785-795.
28. Ditudompo S, Takhar PS, Ganjyal GM, Hanna MA. 2013. The effect of temperature and moisture on the mechanical properties of extruded corn starch. Journal of Texture Studies. Vol. 44(3): 225-237.
Before joining WSU
29. Kumar A, Ganjyal GM, Jones DD and Hanna MA. 2007. Experimental determination of longitudinal expansion during extrusion of starches. Cereal Chemistry. 84(5): 480-484.
30. Kumar A, Ganjyal GM, Jones DD and Hanna MA. 2007. Modeling residence time distribution in a twin-screw extruder as a series of ideal steady-state flow reactors. Journal of Food Engineering. 84(3): 441-448.
31. Ganjyal GM*, Weber R, Hanna MA. 2006. Laboratory composting of starch acetate and polylactic acid blended foams. Bioresource Technology. 98(16): 3176-3179.
32. Ganjyal GM*, Hanna MA. 2006. Role of blowing agents during extrusion of high amylose starch acetate. Cereal Chemistry. 83(6): 577-583.
33. Ganjyal GM*, Fang Q, Hanna MA. 2006. Freezing points and small scale deicing tests of deicers prepared from grain sorghum. Bioresource Technology. 98(15): 2814-2818.
34. Ganjyal GM*, Hanna MA, Supprung, P, Noomhorm, A and Jones DD. 2006. Modeling selected properties of extruded rice flour and rice starch by neural networks and statistics. Cereal Chemistry. 83(3): 223-227.
35. Kumar A., Ganjyal GM, Hanna MA, Jones DD. 2006. Digital image processing for measurement of residence time distribution in a laboratory extruder. Journal of Food Engineering. 75(2006): 237-244.
36. Wang LJ, Ganjyal GM, Weller CL, Jones DD, Hanna MA. 2005. Modeling of bubble growth dynamics and no-isothermal expansion in starch-based foam during extrusion. Advances in Polymer Technology. 24(1): 29-45.
37. Ganjyal GM*, Hanna MA, Devadattam DSK. 2005. Processing of Sapota (sapodilla): Powdering aspects. Food Technology. 3(3): 326-330.
38. Ganjyal GM*, Reddy N, Yang YQ and Hanna MA. 2004. Biodegradable packaging foams of starch acetate blended with corn stalk fibers. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. Vol. 93: 2627-2633.
39. Wang LJ, Ganjyal GM, Weller CL, Jones DD, Hanna MA. 2004. Simulation of fluid flow, heat transfer and melting of biomaterials in a single – screw extruder. Journal of Food Science. Vol. 69(5): E212-E223.
40. Ganjyal GM*, Hanna MA. 2004. Effects of extruder die nozzle dimensions on expansion and micrographic characteristics of acetylated starch. Starch/Starke. Vol. 56 (3): 108-117.
41. Ganjyal GM*, Jones DD, Hanna MA. 2003. Modeling Selected Properties of Extruded Waxy Maize Cross-Linked Starches with Neural Networks. Journal of Food Science. Vol. 68(4): 1348-1388.
42. Ganjyal GM* & Hanna MA. 2002. A review on residence time distribution (RTD) in food extruders and study on the potential of neural networks in RTD modeling. Journal of Food Science. Vol. 67(6): 1996-2002.
Peer Reviewed Extension Articles
- Ganjyal GM* and Coles CG. 2017. FSMA Preventive Controls for Human Food: An Overview. WSU Extension. In Press. 2017-1927.
- Smith SA, Medina-Meza IG† and Ganjyal GM. 2017. Peaches: Value-Added Food Products. WSU Extension. ID: 2016-1904 (In Press).
- Gu B†, Kowalski RJ†, Ganjyal GM*. 2017. Food Extrusion Processing: An Overview. WSU Extension. In Press. FS264E.
- Kalambur S, Ganjyal GM*. 2015. Raising the profile of food processing. Cereal Foods World. Vol. 60(1): 18-26.
- Backman CS., Ganjyal GM. Handling your catch: Quick tips to delivering quality salmon harvests. WSU Extension. FS183E: 1-4.