Associate Professor & Extension Food Processing Specialist
Phone: (509) 335-5613
Office: FSHN 110; Lab: FSHN 212
Research and Professional Experience
- Assistant Professor, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, Feb 2013 to date
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, UNL, May 2004 to date
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Grain Science and Industry, KSU, Nov 2008 to date
- Principal Engineer, PepsiCo Advanced Research, PepsiCo, Plano, TX, August 2009 to Feb 2013
- Principal Scientist, MGP Ingredients Inc., Atchison, KS, February 2004 to July 2009
Honors and Awards
- Faculty Excellence in Extension Award. CAHNRS, WSU. 2017. In recognition of innovation, scope, impact of extension programs, and leadership.
- Provost Featured Faculty. 2016. In recognition of excellent services to WSU.
- Team Interdisciplinary Award. CAHNRS, WSU. 2015. In recognition of teamwork on quinoa projects.
- AACC International Young Scientist Research Award. 2012. For the meritorious recognition of young scientists in evidence of strong contribution of cereal science and processing.
- Chairman’s Recognition. PepsiCo. For significant contributions of extrusion processing and frying process.
- Pursue Great Science. 2011 & 2010. PepsiCo Advanced Research. For uncovering major technical challenges through great science.
- Scientist of the Year. MGP Ingredients, Inc. For significant contributions in the areas of Wheatex, Convergent Proteins and Hydrolyzed Wheat Proteins.
- Graduate Student of the Year. 2004. ASAE Mid-Central Conference.
Refereed Journal Articles
* Corresponding author and/or major author
† Dr. Ganjyal’s graduate student or post-doc
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications (of a total of 47 published)
- Pietrysiak E†, Ganjyal GM*. 2018. Apple Peel Morphology and Attachment of Listeria Innocua through Aqueous Environment as shown by Scanning Electron Microscopy. Food Control. 92: 362-369.
- Pietrysiak E†, Smith DM, Smith BM, Ganjyal GM*. 2018. Enhanced Functionality of Pea-Rice Protein Isolate Blends through Direct Steam Injection Processing. Food Chemistry. 243 (2018): 338-344.
- Kowalski RJ†, Hause JP†, Joyner (Melito) H, Ganjyal GM*. 2018. Waxy flour degradation as impacted by screw geometry and specific mechanical energy through a co-rotating twin screw extruder. Food Chemistry. 239 (2018): 688–696.
- Millin TM†, Medina-Meza IG†, Walters B, Huber KC, Rasco BA, and Ganjyal GM*. 2016. Changes in the physical and structural properties of French fries during the par and finish frying processes resulting from frying oil temperatures. Food and Bioprocess Technology. pp 1 -12.
- Medina-Meza IG†, Aluwi N†, Saunders S and Ganjyal GM*. 2016. Profiling of fatty acid, phytosterols and phenolics in oil fraction of 30 varieties of quinoa. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 64: 8583-8591.
- Kowalski RJ†, Morrow C, McDonald A, and Ganjyal GM*. 2016. X-ray density profiler as a new tool to gain better understanding of the extruded products by measuring the cross-sectional density profiles. Food Structure. Vol 8(2016): 1-7.
Peer Reviewed Extension Articles
- Ganjyal GM* and Coles CG. 2017. FSMA Preventive Controls for Human Food: An Overview. WSU Extension. In Press. 2017-1927.
- Smith SA, Medina-Meza IG† and Ganjyal GM. 2017. Peaches: Value-Added Food Products. WSU Extension. ID: 2016-1904 (In Press).
- Gu B†, Kowalski RJ†, Ganjyal GM*. 2017. Food Extrusion Processing: An Overview. WSU Extension. In Press. FS264E.
- Kalambur S, Ganjyal GM*. 2015. Raising the profile of food processing. Cereal Foods World. Vol. 60(1): 18-26.
- Backman CS., Ganjyal GM. Handling your catch: Quick tips to delivering quality salmon harvests. WSU Extension. FS183E: 1-4.
Ph.D., 2004, Food and Bioprocess Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE
MBA., 2006, Benedictine College, Atchison, KS
M. Eng., 2000, Post-harvest and Food Process Engineering, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand
B. Tech., 1998, Agricultural Engineering, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, India
School of Food Science
Washington State University
PO Box 646376
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164